Thread: Very sad for a friend today. Her ds is failing...

Hybrid View

Christine S Guest

Default Very sad for a friend today. Her ds is failing...

almost all his classes in 7th grade. I know this kid...he's a GREAT kid. He actually babysits for us at times. Very responsible with my children. Even insisted on taking a babysitting class.

From everything my friend has said about her ds, I would suspect he could have ADD. He shows a lot of the same symptoms *I* did at that age. My friend is a preschool teacher, very well educated in these issues and is a great parent. But I dont' think she SEES what I am seeing. I've made some very subtle suggestions to her, but I don't think she'll get it unless I say it outright. Not sure if I should or not.

Anyhow, every time I've seen her in the last couple days she's been in tears. I just want to help in whatever way I can. I've already told her to call me anytime if she needs to talk.

This hits me pretty hard because I see it could be ME with my own kids some day.

C

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I'd be SO tempted to say something...

like "Have you considered that your ds might have a learning difference or ADHD? Sometimes really smart children learn to cope until the schoolwork gets really hard" I'm kind of a blurt it out there type person though.
    Last edited by Suzi; 02-12-2007 at 05:03 PM.

I like what Suzi said, I'd think the ADD would have to be very very bad to have that much of an effect on his grades and wonder what else is going on.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I would say something to her

I really like how Suzi put it too. You could wait until she is upset again or you could call her and tell her you've been thinking about her and her ds. And just share how what she is describing is so similar to what you went through as a child. It might not have occured to her or she just might not be able to see it clearly.

karen

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'd be tempted to say something, too. Maybe phrase it like, "Wow, he reminds me so much of myself at that age. Do you know, I've always suspected I had some ADD issues? Maybe he might have something going on, too..."

It's worth a try if it can help your friend.
    Ellen