Thread: 4 failed IUIs, want to try IVF but can't afford it

Default 4 failed IUIs, want to try IVF but can't afford it

My husband and I have been married for 6 years. We have never used any contraceptives. Neither one of us has a child. Last year we went to a reproductive center and had a series of tests done. My tests all came back fine but hubby has a low sperm count. We have done 4 IUIs with no success. We were on clomid.The first two were monitored. The last 2 we just went in for the insermination. Everytime we thought this was it only to be disappointed. We decided to just save our money for the IVF since my insurance does not pay for it and the hospital doesn't have payment plans. I don't understand why the IUI's didn't work. Is there something we are not doing right or something we should be doing. From what the doctor is asking for we may never afford it. We are a typical American household barely having enough money to put to savings.Any advice?

Default You're not alone...

Don't give up hope... We too have been married 6 years, no contraceptives, or children. I have had 2 unsuccessful IUI's, and was told IVF is probably my best and only option. We have had numerous disappointments, and had exploratory sx, but ended up waking up with 1 less fallopian tube.
    Let me know if you have any questions/concerns, as we can go through this together.

Everyone tells me not to think about it, and it will happen. Why would I want to stop thinking about it, when it's something so important and meaningful... The emotional and physical roller coaste we have gone through and are going through is understood completely by people with INCIID.

Good luck to you and your hubby!

Thank you so much grlstables for posting your reply. You don't know what it means to know that, I am not alone. It seems everywhere I look everyone is getting pregnant. I have been told not to think about it and it will happen too, but how can I do that. I think about it every month.For the past 4yrs now, every month I think we've done it this time. Sometimes I laugh at myself when my MF starts. I ask myself why I think this time this is it? I really would like to try IVF one day, that is my goal. I won't give up.I just wish somebody had told me it is not that easy to get pregnant. God bless

Thank you, and please let me know if there is anything you need or have questions on anything. Hopefully things will work out for the both of us.

Dear Malolo
    its right that u r not alone....me too meried since 5 years but no kids,i have lot of medical problem,the bigest is that my tubes r blocked and utrues lining is week.doctor advice me for IVF.
    but problem is that he said to cutt of my tubes and this is very painful for me,becuz after that i will not have even a hope,which i have every month.but i decide to do it,because its very hard to stay like this,i spend all day alone.im house wife.
    u know when im sad i always think other women who r just like me,then i pray for all of them.
    u said about IVF,recently i heard about a insurence who covered 4 IVF.i just mail them today lets see what they say.if it will posible for then i will tell u.
    and i will not say u that dont sad or tense becuz i can understant that its not posible.but i will say keep hope.
    when ALLAH(GOD)gives problems HE defently solve it to in any way....
    so cheers

Hello Malolo,

I'm new here as well....to this forum anyway. I read your comments and have compassion for what you've been through. I too, have been married for some time (12 years) and have been trying to conceive for 7 years. We've done 7 un-successful IUI's and one un-successful IVF procedure. What all that puts you through physically as well as emotional is in one word, unbearable. Said all that to say this....I can relate to your heart ache. We did the IVF procedure (took out a home equity loan for it) 2 years ago. Again, it was unsuccessful and we are still paying on it. We've spent the last 2 years recovering from that earthshaddering disappointment. Have you considered applying to INCIID for the IVF Scholarship Program? We did. I filled out the information and mailed it back in March 2008. We got the call that we were accepted July 2008. Since then I've been working on raising the donation amount ($3,000) so we can get started with the IVF procedure. It might be an avenue for you if its one you have not looked at yet. Go to their website www.inciid.org and it will explain the process. Best of luck to ya!!

-Tina

Hi Malolo! I am new to the forums, but have been following everything INCIID does for a while now. I too applied for the scholarship program, but I applied in October of 2007! I was asked to send more information to them in July of 2008. Still haven't heard anything. I am beginning to get discouraged. Especially after reading that you were accepted within only 4 months. Any knowledge on how the whole thing works? Also, I just wanted to say...keep fighting on raising the donation amount. I will say a prayer for you.