Thread: Vasctomy reversal but can't afford it.

Default Vasctomy reversal but can't afford it.

I am new to this site. I am 27 years old with no children. I am engaged to someone who has two children from a previous marriage and he has a vasctomy. It is something that he regrets having done but it was what his ex wanted.

Don't get me wrong, I love his children but it is never going to change the fact that they are not my children. Their mother will always be their mother. I won't.

I really want a child/children of my own. I know there are other options like sperm donors but I am not sure if that is something he would be willing to try.

I also know that adoption is always an option and we have looked into that but I really want the chance of having my own child.

I just wish there were options that were not so expensive, insurance companies would pay for parts of the surgery or there were grants/scholarships for this type of thing. I looked into the scholarship for infertility but they don't cover vasctomy reversal, only natural infertility problems. Which I can understand in some cases but for me, I do have an infertility problem that is not my doing.

They told us that the vasctomy reversal surgery will cost $12000. Unfortunately we just don't have that kind of money. Plus the longer we wait to raise the money, the less of a chance for it to work. It has already been at least 4 years since he had it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Do you have fertility coverage with your insurance? If so, it should cover IVF, at least your side of it. Then they could remove immature sperm from his scrotum and do ICSI. My understanding is that part of it is only $4Kish and perhaps it might be covered? Just depends on how cooperative the dr is with their dx codes. Also, if you do egg sharing (they used to do that way back in the day) that could help cover the costs insurance doesn't cover, you are so young I bet you would be an ideal candidate for that.

Good luck!
    Wader

iwannabeamomx5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WaderWoman View Post
    Do you have fertility coverage with your insurance? If so, it should cover IVF, at least your side of it. Then they could remove immature sperm from his scrotum and do ICSI. My understanding is that part of it is only $4Kish and perhaps it might be covered? Just depends on how cooperative the dr is with their dx codes. Also, if you do egg sharing (they used to do that way back in the day) that could help cover the costs insurance doesn't cover, you are so young I bet you would be an ideal candidate for that.

Good luck!
    Wader
    Unfortunately most insurance co. won't cover IVF for patients who underwent voluntary sterilization though. THey will onyl cover it if you reverse and show success in terms of restoring normal fertility (for VR that is normal counts & motility) but still haven't achieved pregnancy within 12 months.

Fortunately, there are Dr.'s who perform VR for much less than $12k!!! My DH has a VR in Jan 2006 with Dr. David Wilson in Muskogee, OK for only $1370!!! It was VERY successful, too!! He has MANY successes to his name btw!!! (successful VR's, pregnancies AND babies!! I do believe his fee is higher now - last I heard it was $1500.

I help to moderate a vas reversal board too, actually...it's called VRSG - Vasectomy Reversal Support Group. I hope it's ok to post links to other boards here, if not, I apologize!!! My screen name is the same over there *iwannabeamomx5* btw. They are a GREAT bunch of women over there - very supportive and uplifting - I've honestly NEVER been a part of a group of women online that are SO awesome the way this group is!!! Anyhow, here is the board that you can learn TONS of info from: http://vrsupportgroup.proboards.com/index.cgi?

You can find ALL the info you need about VR's on this board....and there is A LOT you need to know!! There are lists of things you can do before the VR and afterwards too, to increase the chances of it being successful. And there are lists of vitamins and supplements your DH should start taking beforehand as well, to help boost his fertility and then to boost his counts & motility after the VR. You can also read all about the different dr.'s who perform VR's and how much they charge, and what to expect from each one in terms of your experience. We also talk a lot about women's fertility too!

Whatever you do, definitely RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH before having the VR!! Make sure you are 100% prepared so your chances of it working are as high as possible! (this means working on your own body and fertility too - because you also want to be as healthy as possible, and you should also start tracking your cycles so you know when you ovulate and everything too!!) The more you know, the the easier it will be! (well hopefully - because obviously there are no guarantees)

Best wishes!!!

~ Holly

(oh my, I just realized this post was from a VERY long time ago and she never came back and posted anything else!! I probably just wrote all of this out for nothing. Sigh...)