Thread: FET question

lauramaria Guest

Default FET question

Hi Dr.,

I had my 6 day 5aa hatching blastocyst thawed yesterday for my transfer. When I was given the picture of it two hours after the thaw it looked nothing like it had when it was frozen. It looked more like a very early blast. The doctor said that all blasts need time to re-expand after the thaw. Well, we had the transfer right then. Is it normal for the blast to be transferred back before it has re-expanded and will this decrease my chances? Also, is it normal that after two hours the blast still looked very early? He showed me a pic at thaw and it definitely looked like it had a grown a little bit.

Thank you for your help!

It is common for blasts to look different after thaw. Freezing make they contract. There is no risk of doing the transfer early but I like to let them expand over the day so we know for sure which one is surviving. In your case, if you had only one embryo, it would not have mattered. Hope that helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any additional questions.

lauramaria Guest

Default re: FET question

Thank you so much Dr. Saleh for responding. Can you tell me what the approximate chances are for a day 6 hatching 5aa embryo to survive? It was definitely alive after the thaw and after 2 hours there was evidence of some expansion.
    Thank you so much.

There is a 25% chance of pregnancy per frozen embryo transferred. Best of luck.