Thread: Does the HCG shot metabolize faster when subq vs. IM?

Default Does the HCG shot metabolize faster when subq vs. IM?

Hello there,

Every other time, I have been given the 10,000 unit HCG shot (generic) intramuscularly in my rear end by the RE's nurse. This time around, they did not have one in stock and sent me to the pharmacy to pick it up, and I had to give it to myself and the RE's nurse told me to just put it subcutaneously into my stomach. So I did. I am confident that I administered it correctly and mixed it correctly, given the number of fertility drug shots I have given myself in the past.

Now I'm wondering if that helps it metabolize faster? The past few times I have had the shot intramuscularly, it seems to have stuck around for a long while...still getting rather strong positives on an home pregnancy test at 10+ days past iui. This time, I took an HPT today to see if the shot was gone at just 8dpiui and 9 days since the shot, and it is just barely barely positive. I might even consider it a negative.

So, does the way the shot is administered affect how quickly it metabolizes? Is it out of the system faster when it is subQ? I am a thin woman, if that makes any difference - 115 pounds.

The metabolism of hCG is about the same whether it is given IM or subq.

Good luck,
    Dr. Roseff
    Dr. Roseff - South Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine - Boca Raton, FL
    PERSONALIZED/SUCCESSFUL Specialty care....

As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff or INCIID.

Great, thank you! I suppose I am just metabolizing it more quickly this cycle for whatever reason.