Thread: slow growing fetus?

Default slow growing fetus?

Dear Dr. Greene,
    I am currently 8 weeks two days pregnant following an FET cycle where two embryos were transferred. I am 39 years old. I had my first ultra sound at 5 weeks 6 days. Ultrasound showed two babies, fraternal twins. One measuring 5 weeks 6 days and one measuring 5 weeks 4 days. HBs were not found, my RE said not to worry as it was still early to find HB and scheduled me to come back at 8 weeks. She said that the larger of the babies/sacs looked to be developing well but the smaller she was unsure of. She said it may turn out to be a "vanishing twin". She also said I may have some spotting and not to worry. I did have some spotting but nothing to significant (I was also told this could be due to irritation of the cervix from my Prometrium inserts). Let me add I was having very strong pregnancy symptoms daily, morning sickness, exaustion, cramping,extreme hunger, dizzy, etc. as well as already looking pregnant. At 7 weeks 5 days I spotted quite a bit (about a whole pantyliners worth) however this was brown not red blood. I also had some cramping more intense than usual. I called my RE and was scheduled to come in for my u/s the next day. U/S showed two sacs still present one still larger than the other. The larger of the two (the one we were originally told was the most likely to make it) didn't show a hb. The smaller baby did show heartbeat but measured at 6w5d rather than 7w6d. I was told to come back in 6 days for another u/s. Re says he wants to make sure baby is developing normally. We are so sad and confused. To find out one of our little beans isn't gonna make it is hard enough but the fact that there is concern over the other is almost to much. My question is how concerned should we be. What are the chances that everything will be ok? I am also concerned because the other baby is still there. I have noticed a definite drop in my syptoms. Way less hungry, and nauseaus. Still emotional, and tired and sore breasts. Also before I had uterine cramping (due to streaching I'm told)daily and this had almost completely disappeared. Hoping for the best, but feeling sad and depressed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Sienna,
    I am so sorry that this pregnancy has been so difficult and so confusing for you. First off, the fact that you transferred two embryos and both implanted is definite reason for optimism. Although this cycle may not work out, it does improve your prognosis overall. I realize that may seem like little consolation at this current time but it will be ultimately. Regarding this pregnancy, did they tell you what the heartbeat rate was? Studies show that if it is greater than 120 bpm, that is another optimistic sign. Typically when the rate is over 120 then the risk of miscarriage falls to around 5%. So I'd try to find that out since that may give you more reason for hope as you wait for more definitive signs. Don't let the symptoms through you off. They are very unreliable and sometimes even due to the medication regimen that women are using after their ART cycle. Hope all works out well for you.

Best thoughts,
    ~Robert

Robert Greene, MD, FACOG
    Medical Director
    SIRM--Northern California

Default Early slow growth pregnancy

Dear Dr. Greene

Can you please help me I have had a scan and I am about 6-7 weeks, the mid-wife/nurse advised that the growth is not as expected and although has grown shows slow growth. She said that she expects me to miscarry in the next few weeks and has booked me in for a scan on 22/11/12 to and I quote "check my insides". Surely if the pregnancy was not viable they would have terminated it there and then. I did have bleeding a few weeks ago (when I would normally be due on) but that stopped. She also kept questioning the dates. I really do not understand and am very confused by it all can you help explain it to me?
    Thank you SammyH

Dear Sammy H,
    I am sorry that some healthcare providers do not communicate more appropriately. It is very difficult for me to begin to gauge what signs lead your nurse mid-wife to such a conclusion. I can reassure you that there is considerable variation in biology in terms of growth rate. One of the best (most predictive) signs to follow is the cardiac activity. Did they comment on the "fetal heart rate"? If it was above 120 and regular in pattern that is a very reassuring sign. I do hope that this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Very best thoughts,
    ~Robert

Robert Greene, MD, FACOG