Thread: Help me figure out how to accessorize

Default Help me figure out how to accessorize

We just got a new King-sized bed with new bedding. This past Sunday dh painted our bedroom and now I need to figure out what to do next. I'm specifically wondering about what color/type of drapes, accent pillows for bed, dust ruffle. and anything else you can think of. We're thinking of making a fabric covered headboard, but I'm at a loss about what color(s) type of fabric to use. Please help this decorating-impaired woman make something of her bedroom.

Here's the picture:

Thank you!

Amy

P. S. Excuse the tupperware nightstand. We don't have bedroom furniture, yet.

Hollie_B is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by AmyP
    We just got a new King-sized bed with new bedding. This past Sunday dh painted our bedroom and now I need to figure out what to do next. I'm specifically wondering about what color/type of drapes, accent pillows for bed, dust ruffle. and anything else you can think of. We're thinking of making a fabric covered headboard, but I'm at a loss about what color(s) type of fabric to use. Please help this decorating-impaired woman make something of her bedroom.

Here's the picture:

Thank you!

Amy

P. S. Excuse the tupperware nightstand. We don't have bedroom furniture, yet.
    My idea would be to have one long substantial drapery rod for both windows. I would than do one long drapery panel on each window (outer edge). Does that make sense? Or, I would do 2 smaller poles, but still do one drapery panel per window. I would go a little higher with the pole(s) and longer with the panels. Make that wall long and lean.

I would pick the sage or the darker berry from your bedding as your accent color.

lala22 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default i think that dark red color...

and I'd try and get the red panels for the windows, and the same color for accent pillows and dust ruffle...all in the same matching color...are you keeping the blinds?

If you can't keep the windows open, i'd do dark panels, maybe tab top, with wooden rods to match your furniture -- if your room is private, i'd get rid of the blinds and do red scarves and let the light in and have the scarves drape to just add color.

Can you get 2 more pillows in the matching bedding...i love TONS of pillows...i'd add those for a double layer of pillows.

I'm not sure about the head board, sorry. I do like your bedding.

geenabeana is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Unless it seems overly feminine....

I'd do simple eyelet pillow shams (behind the quilted ones) in ivory with an ivory skirt.

The windows I'd leave alone until you know what kind of headboard and lamps you'll have. If the headboard and lamps are weighty (visually) that would determine what kind of window treatment to do.

Accent colors I'd probably do either the red or the country blue that's on the quilt.

KirstenP is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

If you are going to do a fabric headboard (love them) I'd probably do a linen type in a wheat or bone color. i do a heavy, neutral material with a little texture.

I'd also get some Euroshams to go behind the shams that you have. I might do a light chambray in blue, green or red. Or, if you find solid quilted ones in any of those colors, that might look nice too.

Do you open and shut those blinds alot?

I like the simple tie up shades from Target. I have a pic I'll post to show you what I'm talking about. But if you have them up and down alot, they probably aren't practical. if not, you might want to try a simple, inside mounted roman shade.

Kirsten

KirstenP is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Here's a pic of the tie up shades. They were pretty inexpensive. I got them at Target a few years ago. Pottery Barn has similar ones for about twice the price.

Kirsten

LAD is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default One more idea to build on the others -

I like the advice others have offered.

I love the Euro sham idea. If you can possibly do it all at once, a coverlet to match the Euro shams would look great. I see these in the same solid color (any color pulled from the current bedspread) with your existing bedspread/comforter folded up at the end of the bed like a quilt. You could also go with the eyelet shams, eyelet comforter and eyelet bedskirt with the existing shams in front of the eyelet ones and the existing bedspread folded at the end of the bed.

If you are interested in the coverlet idea, I just purchased one I really like last weekend at Tuesday morning. It is a brown herringbone patterned matlessae (spelling?), came with matching standard sized shams, and was priced at $49.99. Target,Kmart (Martha Stewart) and Lands End have great ones but I think they are more expensive than $49.99.

Have fun and please be sure to let us know what you find and decide!

Leigh

Wow, such a nice coverlet. This is what I am looking for here in Australia. Where could I purchase this coverlet and what will be the shopping cost?