Thread: going thru IVF w/5 early miscarriages

Default going thru IVF w/5 early miscarriages

Hello, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant thru IVF for the past 1 1/2 years now and everytime the transfers take but then I miscarry every time. I've done 1 fresh cycle and 4 FETs all with same result. I always have positive HCG but it usually starts below normal and will either drop right from beginning or will slowly rise (never doubles like suppose to every couple days) and then drop. 4 ended this way and 1 FET I actually carried 6 weeks and when did Ultrasound no heartbeat just sac so RE did D&C. I've had all the tests possible run on me (at least thats what I've been told). I've actually seen 2 different REs. The first RE did immune testing and found that my NK cells were slightly higher than normal so my 3rd FET I was given IVIG treatment but that didn't help as same result, miscarried. Then the 2nd RE ran more tests and found that I have abnormal MTHFR factor, so he had me on baby asparin and 4 mg of folic acid a day prior and thru the 4th & 5th FETs but same result. My feeling on this is that my body is rejecting the embryos; and if this is the case is there anything I can do to prevent this? I still have 5 good frozen embryos left but before I proceed to try again I need better answers than don't know why and just try again.
    Also the reason we went to IVF was because my husband had vasectomy done years ago and we did revearsal but no success, so we thought this was our only hope of having our own baby.

Do we have the results of the chromosome analysis from the products of conception from the D&C? This would help us determine whether you are loosing chromosomally normal or abnormal pregnancies. Also with your history of very early losses, you should talk with your doctor about checking for a sperm contribution to the losses with the Sperm DNA Integrity assay. Dr. Coulam

thanks for quick response. Yes we did chromosome test on the D & C and it came back normal and healthy. My husband and I had chromosome testing done on both of us and it all came back normal as well. I will definitely mention the Sperm DNA Integrity to my DR. But if something was wrong with Sperm wouldn't that effect the quality of the embryo? My embryos are 5day and are grade A quality.

Not necessarily. Defects in sperm DNA dont show up until later but prior fo 6 weeks of gestation. Dr. Coulam

OK, but how do you test for that, can you test one of our Frozen Embryos or do you need fresh sperm because how would you get it if my husbands sperm are still blocked due to vasectomy, I'd hate to have my husband go thru a procedure just to tell us it's ok, but then I guess if that is the problem then we know we are done trying or is there a solution to fix this? Also if his sperm are healthy do you have any other solutions to my problem because right now we are seriously thinking about surrogacy for the remaining embryos.

Host uterus is an option if the problem is in the uterus. If the problem is in the embryo, then a host uterus wont help. I agree testing you husbands sperm is difficult. Do we have frozen sperm that can be tested? Another consideration is testing the embryos with PGD prior to transfer. Dr. Coulam

No we don't have frozen sperm left. I did meet with my Dr. to discuss what to do from here. I mentioned about doing PGD which he said we could do but metioned it would be hard to get accurate conclusion as I have 5 day old embryos and usually they check at 3 days, and also doing the PGD can lessen the chances of implantation. He did agree that we should consider surrogate. He pretty much can't give us a reason as to why we keep miscarriang, but thinks it's the uterus causing the problems. My lining is always well in the range of thickness prior to implantation so he's just guessing at this point and said the only thing he'd do different if I were to go ahead with again is to start progesterone few days earlier than normal. What are your thoughts on my situation? What would you recommend me doing, should I try again myself doing PGD and hoping something different might happen or go in the surrogate direction? Or if it is my uterus that's causing miscarriages is there a treatment?
    Again I really appreciate your insight on this.

We would need to evaluate you for all known uterine problems before considering host uterus. If you would like a consultation just call 847 869 7777 for an appointment. This consultation may be done on the telephone if more convenient for you. Dr. Coulam

Default there is something that is different for recurrent pregnancy loss

Dear wendysh96, i have read your posts and your story sounds like mine, multiple chemical pregnancies, where nothing works. well, I was offered a different treatment --plasmapheresis. I will try it. Unfortunately, I only have 1 embryo left of my own. I have 3 of my DE cycle, that are left, but I don't have the heart for them. It is probably there is nothing wrong with your husband's sperm. You might have antibodies in your blood that kill the baby as soon as implantation starts. There is such a thing as anti-HCG antibodies, which means that as soon as there is HCG in your system, the antibodies would trash the pregnancy. If you have those antibodies, basically nothing will help, other than trying to remove them temporary or surro. Please email me, if you want to ask questions. I know what it feels like. After the transfer I basically wait for my baby to die, and the doctors wouldn't take me seriously, one even told me I am killing them with my thoughts. My next transfer is in October and I will tell you of an outcome.
    Olga
    olga_hadash@hotmail.com