Thread: Recurrent Miscarriages

Default Recurrent Miscarriages

Dr. Coulam,
    I have had 6 miscarriages and 1 child. My history is as follows:
    1. Miscarriage at 6 weeks.
    2. Miscarriage at 8 weeks after seeing normal heartbeat; had a subchorionic hemmorage (not likely cause of miscarriage)
    3. Miscarriage at 6 weeks--chromosomally normal boy
    Testing done--husband and I have normal karyotypes, HSG (normal), some clotting tests done (all normal except compound hetero MTHFR)
    4. Treatment--clomid, progesterone, folbee, baby aspirin, lovenox--healthy girl born at 36.5 weeks. Vanishing twin too.
    5. Miscarriage at 14 weeks (chromosomally normal girl) (on lovenox, aspirin, folbee)
    6. Miscarriage at 8 weeks after normal heartbeat (chromosomally normal girl) (on lovenox, aspirin, folbee)
    7. Miscarriage at 7 weeks after normal heartbeat (waiting on chromosome testing) (on clomid, lovenox, baby aspirin, folbee and thyroid medication to lower TSH from 4.7)

We thought the baby aspirin and lovenox combination was the solution to my issues, as it worked for my pregnancy with my daughter. Unfortunately we've now had the three additional miscarriages on lovenox/baby aspirin and are afraid there are no more options.

My questions:
    1. Can immune issues such as NK cells and ANA, etc. cause miscarriages after 7 weeks and even into the second trimester?
    2. I get pregnant easily--usually the first time trying. Would you expect to see problems getting pregnant if there are immune issues going on, or is it possible to have no issues with getting pregnant and then miscarry after heartbeats are detected due to immune issues?
    3. Does lovenox help with immune issues?

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes, immune problems can cause miscarriage.
    2. Immune issues can be the cause of both inablility to implant and maintain pregnancy.
    3. Lovenx can help with some but not all immune issues.
    Dr. Coulam