Thread: New to Endo

Default New to Endo

I have been trying to conceive for 2 years and was just diagnosed with endo last week.

History:
    I am 29 (almost 30) and my husband is 30
    I have a 3.5 year old conceived naturally after 5 months born by c-section
    Have been trying since Jan 09 w/ BBT and OPK
    Chemical pregnancy in May 09 -no other pregnancies since
    4 Rounds of unmonitored clomid before going to RE all neg.
    Just finished testing w/ RE (bw, ultrasounds, HSG, Saline Ultrasound, Endometrial Biopsy, SA) -all tests normal and I ovulate on my own
    My cycles range from 26 to 32 days w/ spotting 2-5 days before my period
    Lap 11/23 showed stage 3 endo on ovaries and 1 tube -tubes open and everything where it should be

Questions:
    1. What treatment should I pursue considering the diagnoses?
    2. Should I consider immune testing - if so which tests, and do I do the testing on my own (without talking to my Dr.)?
    3. What are the statistical chances of pregnancy (on my own/with iui/with ifv) with endo?
    4. From what I read you don't feel iui is a good choice with endo, how about mini-ivf? Is it offered everywhere or just some clinics? Is it less successful than regular IVF?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Lisa

Questions:
    1. What treatment should I pursue considering the diagnoses?

A: I advise IVF to by pass the endo

2. Should I consider immune testing - if so which tests, and do I do the testing on my own (without talking to my Dr.)?

A: Yes if you like. Please go to www.millenova.com and download their order form online. The main test is called NK assay test. They run about $300 and can be drawn at your local 1ary doctor or OB-GYN and the blood sent to Chicago. Please note that I have no financial affiliations to this lab. They are one of three reproductive immunology labs that do the appropriate testing. Unfortunately, contracted labs like LabCorp and Quest do not.

3. What are the statistical chances of pregnancy (on my own/with iui/with ifv) with endo?

On your own: 1% per month
    clomid 5% per mo
    Clomid/IUI 7% per mo
    injection/IUI 9% per mo
    IVF 60% in one month

4. From what I read you don't feel iui is a good choice with endo, how about mini-ivf? Is it offered everywhere or just some clinics? Is it less successful than regular IVF?

A: If you have regular periods, normal SA and is less than 36 you can do micro-IVF at any of the SIRM centers. www.haveababy.com

Thank you for your response. Do you know how much lower the success rates are with Micro-Ivf versus traditional Ivf? Also, I live in Pensacola, FL so unfortunately all of the SIRM clinics are very far from me. The Florida Institute of Reproductive Medicine offers Mini-Stimulation Ivf. Would this be similar to Micro-Ivf? If not, is there anyone you could recommend?
    Thank you again,
    Lisa

I am not sure what they include in their mini-IVF. We use 300 units of gonadotropins and the 50% discount comes from not doing ICSI, no estrogen levels and selecting only good candidate. Sometimes even with traveling, you still come ahead. I advise you to shop around for a center that have good pregnancy rates as well. Those are available on the web.

Thank you for the information!
    Lisa

This is not a medical advice