Thread: Selective Reduction

Default Selective Reduction

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post in and I don't want to hear anybodies opinions on what a bad person I am for doing this. Until you know what it is like to be in this position and have to make such heart breaking and possible life ruining decision then please keep quiet. I am sharing this story because I have no where else to go and would like to hear from people who may have been in this situation and could answer some questions for me.

After trying to have a baby due to PCOS for 2 years finally I got pregnant with twins - we were over the moon until recently we went for genetic testing to find out one of the twins is "compromised" as the doc put it. He told us our baby had chromosome problems and would either be born with issues and may die early after birth or may die in the womb and suggested Selective Reduction to ensure the healthier baby would thrive. He said we could wait and see what happens but there is a chance we could lose both. We agonized over what to do and finally decided our only option to ensure we have one healthy baby was to do the selective reduction. I am extremely scared and still don't want to do it but I don't think we have a choice. I dont know how I will get through this mentally and am scared that I won't love my other baby as he/she will always remind me of what I did to the other baby. So I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has been in a similar situation and has coped with this decision? Thanks!

I have not been in this situation, but have had patients who have. Each couple is different and has different opinions. Only you can make the best decision for yourselves. Listen to you judgement and do what is best for you in the long run. Dr. Coulam

Last year my RE, said I could only take the Ovidrel trigger shot if I was okay with selective reduction b/c I had 5 potential mature follicles. At the time I said yes I was okay with it...but I really didn't understand the whole process... I did get pregnant with one, only to later miscarry. Now I'm curious if Selective Reduction is something I can financially afford to do, since I've spent all of my savings on fertility treatments as is.... So without insurance what is a ballpark figure for selective reduction?

I am not sure of the cost. Best check with your doctor for costs in your vicinity. Dr. Coulam

noticefoo Guest

I had a friend who went this. I wholeheartedly supported her for the selective reduction. Finances were a consideration and they needed to focus on the healthy twin. It was devastating for them, but they're okay now.

Dr. Coulam is absolutely right. Trust your judgement and instincts on what is right for you and your family. I certainly understand how you feel as I was in angst when my doctors were encouraging me to selectively reduce one of our twins. You are in my thoughts!

Default I know "now" that

I wish someone had brought up that option to me. I was expecting twins and knew that my DD was also compromised. I lost both DD and DS at 20 plus weeks.