Thread: Little bit of a rant on IVF "programs"

ASIndy Guest

Angry Little bit of a rant on IVF "programs"

Just wanted vent a little, maybe see if anyone else has run in to this issue or not.
    We invested in an IVF "program" that is supposed to alleviate the financial stress of the IVF process. I'm sure many of you are well aware of what I'm talking about. You basically pay for two sessions up front and then if you need to go for a 3rd cycle, that is covered by the program. If you conceive on the first try, the company makes some good money, but hey, you've got your baby...

I'm not quite ready to drag the companies name through the mud so I won't mention it, but long story short, after 2 failed IVF attempts, the company told our RE that they want to cancel the contract. Based on our disappointing results on the first 2, they don't appear willing to stick through it for the 3rd and final try(the cycle THEY would be paying for). I don't know what kind of refund we would see if that happens, I have not looked yet. 100%??

It just really burns me that this company is trying to do this. The concept of the program is to relieve the stress on our pocket books so we can focus on dealing with the stress of trying to conceive. The company's website is full of warm and reassuring little notes and percentages but it just became blindingly apparent that they are nothing but a company looking to protect their profits and success rates.

We've (un)fortunately been deemed a special case by our RE, never a good thing to be special when it comes to infertility i say, but our practice is also kind of championing our cause as they are intrigued by our case. They've outlined an aggressive plan for the third try and are petitioning the company not to cancel. Luckily, they've also offered to provide us some help in affording the 3rd cycle, even if we get dropped.

Anyway, sorry... I feel a little better just getting it out there. I don't want it to deter anyone else from taking advantage of these kinds of programs, I'm sure for the majority of couples there is little issue. Just keep it on your radar maybe. Thanks for listening.

I'm so sorry you have had to go through this on top of the stress of infertility. While I haven't had that experience, I do have a bone to pick with insurance companies. Well maybe a couple of bones. First being that we had multiple claims denied for our IUI's because something was mis-coded as IVF once and they just denied everything after that even though codes were fixed. So stressful, adding insult to injury. The second thing is that it irks me so bad that insurance companies will cover vasectomies and tubal ligations but not ivf. How is ivf a "lifestyle choice" and tubal ligation isn't?? Anyway, I'll limit my soapbox time but I swear one of these days I am going to get involved with changing laws about this.

ASIndy Guest

Haha, something must only be considered a lifestyle choice once it exceed 5,000 dollars.

Our insurance has been pretty easy, basically because it doesn't cover anything but the doctors visit. Our expectations are already pretty low.

ASIndy Guest

Our RE went to bat for us and they finally agreed to cover the 3rd treatment!

Congratulations for winning that battle, how exciting!!