Thread: cabergoline in early pregnancy

Default cabergoline in early pregnancy

Can you tell me your thoughts on the safety of Cabergoline in early pregnancy? I have been taking it since HCG trigger and doctor wants me to continue to take it for first 2 weeks of pregnancy. Is this something you prescribe? How safe is it?

Thanks

Dear mwalls,
    Rest assured that cabergoline is something that we consider safe for use during pregnancy. In fact, it is classified as pregnancy category B. I regularly use it in my practice for women that produce many eggs and are at risk for OHSS. My guess is that this is the reason that your doctor has prescribed it for you. If my assumption is correct, I hope that will be getting some good news soon and that you are not feeling too bloated in the meantime.

Best thoughts,
    ~Robert

Robert Greene, MD, FACOG
    California IVF Fertility Center

Thanks! I tested + on a hpt test at 4dp5dt which was the earliest I have every seen a +! My first hcg level at 10dp5dt was 464 and prog was 68, my second at 12dp5dt was 1128! I am guessing twins???

Do you continue PIO with a level of 68 or discontinue? My dr office told me to continue but I read online that some offices discontinue.

Thanks!!!

Congatulations on your beta! You must be quite pleased.

Personally, I do not feel that there is any benefit to continue the PIO when the progesterone level is above 50. Since it is more than a bit uncomfortable and can cause problems; I encourage my patients to discontinue. That said, this is an on-going area of debate amongst my colleagues.

Best thoughts,
    ~Robert

Robert Greene, MD, FACOG
    California IVF Fertility Center