Thread: Antinuclear Antibodies

Default Antinuclear Antibodies

Dear Dr:
    I have had 2 miscarriages; one concieved via IUI and the other naturally. I had a D&C with the 2nd miscarriage to Karotype the tissue. It was XX and 46 chromosomes.

I also had a "Recurring Pregnancy Loss" Workup done. All tests were negative except the antinuclear antibodies. My result was "positive--1:40 speckled".

Could you please explain what that means exactly? I was given a brief explanation that my "cells were inflamed". I would like more detail, if possible. I am on baby aspirin every evening now.

Will this impede future pregnancies?

Thank you so very much for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Ramona

While the ANA 1:40 speckled can contribute to your miscarriages, it is probably not the only reason for your pregnancy losses. Have your been evaluated for both immunologic and thrombophilic risk factors? For more information about the tests included in the Pregnancy Loss and Thrombophilia panels, you may visit the website of FC Labs at FCLab.us. Dr. Coulam

Yes, I was tested for both, thrombophilia and immunology. Both were negative. I forgot to mention that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1998 but currently am in "remission" meaning my symptoms are minimal or non-existent. Thank you for your response.

Sorry...is there any way to eliminate or reduce my ANA? If that is my only "issue", should I concieve again, can I manage it or am I doomed to miscarry again?

You should talk with your doctor that has the results of all of your testing for recommendations for treatment. We usually dont treat lab test results but rather the patient so it is difficult to make recommendations regarding specific patients's treatment without benefit of evaluation and consultation. Dr. Coulam