Thread: I'm new

Unhappy I'm new

Not new to infertility...5 years and counting. I have had a couple miscarriages and open heart surgery in that time. Now all ready to go for IVF. Got what we thought was great new insurance, covers IVF treatments 100% with $20 co-pay. Unfortunately we didn't realize we had $3500 per cycle prescription co-pay. We barely make that in a month to live. My question is does anyone know of a supplemental prescription drug plan in MA that would cover the meds? Any insght would be great.
    -Muffy

Hi Muffy, welcome to INCIID. Have you asked your RE's office if they have any donated meds available? Sometimes pharmaceutical companies will donate a certain amount of medications for people that need assistance. You could also try the Fertility Lifelines http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/index.jsp website which is something that I plan on looking into myself, they give some sort of discount. Also depending on what medications you will need for your own particular situation, it might cost less than your $3500 co-pay. I don't live in MA, so you might want to talk to your RE's office because I am sure they will have any and all state-specific resources available. Good luck to you!!

SoniaO is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi Demuffin!!! I have had 2 IVFs and know all too well the sting of the drug costs. Before my second IVF, I learned of this site- http://www.ivfmeds.com/ and our clinic worked with them no problem. SAVED A BUNDLE!

GOOD LUCK and lkeep us updated!

Sonia

I guess I should add also- This company is from the UK and the european meds come in a bit of a different form (vials and such) and you have to allow a bit of extra time in case they get stuck in customs. When I ordered, they split my order up into two shipments in case one box got stuck and the other went through, I would as least have some to start. Both boxes showed up at the same time though and had no problems with that.

Hey Sonia, how did you hear about that website? Their prices are really low! I take it your cycle worked?

Does the insurance policy impose this "co-pay" on any other prescription drugs? If not, then they are in direct violation of MA state law (provided they are subject to state laws and not an employer funded or federal program.)

"37.06: Prescription Drugs
    Insurers shall not impose exclusions, limitations or other restrictions on coverage for infertility-related drugs that are different from those imposed on any other prescription drugs."

You can call the state board for more information. http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaagenc...rance&sid=Eoca

Quote Originally Posted by demuffin3 View Post
    not new to infertility...5 years and counting. I have had a couple miscarriages and open heart surgery in that time. Now all ready to go for ivf. Got what we thought was great new insurance, covers ivf treatments 100% with $20 co-pay. Unfortunately we didn't realize we had $3500 per cycle prescription co-pay. We barely make that in a month to live. My question is does anyone know of a supplemental prescription drug plan in ma that would cover the meds? Any insght would be great.
    -muffy
    hi what insurance company are you with. I'm looking for some insurance that covers fertility

Default (success ment)

Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Hey Sonia, how did you hear about that website? Their prices are really low! I take it your cycle worked?
    Sorry for the delay Annette- Yes the cycle worked! I have done 2 IVF cycles and both were successful. My first cycle, I didn't know about the UK company so I used standard US drugs. The second cycle is when I went to the UK company. The drugs have different names, but per the Dr, were the same drugs.

I heard about the company through another patient at the same clinic I went to. The clinic didn't tell me about them (of course).

Thanks Sonia!!