Thread: progesteron vs. hcg

Default progesteron vs. hcg

Dear Dr. Coulam,

Are hcg levels and progesterone levels correlated? I had super high and rising hcg levels AND spotting from week 2, then confirmed miscarriage of twins at 7 weeks. The doctors did not test my progesterone levels.

1. If my hcg was high, does that also mean my progesterone was high?

2. If I get pregnant again, would it be worthwhile to test for progesterone levels, or take supplements without testing?

3. Is there any harm in taking progesterone if you already have sufficient levels?

thank you!

Yes, hcg and progesterone levels are usually correlated.Progesterone levels are important for implantation but supplementation probably doest help after implantation in completed. There is no known ill effects of taking pregesterone even if it doesnt hlep. Dr. Coulam

Thank you for replying.

So, if I had high and rising hcg, and successful implantation, can I assume that my progesterone levels were probably adequate and the miscarriage was probably due to chromosomal defects and not inadequate uterine lining?

I just want to know if I should request progesterone if I get pregnant again.

It bwint hurt ti check you progesterone when you get pregnant but bit should be normaql. Dr. Coulam