Thread: loss of symptoms, great betas

Question loss of symptoms, great betas

Hi Dr. Greene -

I am curious about something and hoping your expertise in hormones can shed some light. I'm currently 5 weeks, 4 days pregnant with my fourth pregnancy (only one living baby so far!). With my last missed miscarriage at 5.5 weeks and this pregnancy, ALL of my symptoms disappeared but betas rose quite impressively (was 20k on Sunday). I'm all but convinced that this pregnancy is also going to end in miscarriage. With my first two pregnancies, many of my symptoms started right away and were strong).

What causes the pregnancy symptoms? Which hormone? I'm taking levothyroxine and progestone this time, which I thought might make me feel worse. All my hormonal testing came back normal (my thyroid was borderline at 2.49). We get pregnant right away. I'm 35 and husband 46.

Any thoughts? Does the symptoms and missed miscarriage indicate anything to you? Thank you for your time.
    Briana

Dear Briana,
    I hope this email finds you well. I think it is a sad that women have come to embrace pregnancy-related symptoms as a reassuring sign rather than a clue. In medicine, we use symptoms to better understand what may be going on--they are often the body's warning system. In some situations, they are clue on how one can further improve their health (and the health of their developing baby). Unfortunately, there is such a diversity of symptoms associated with pregnancy that it is well beyond the scope of this message board. I attempted to help women better understand what can trigger various symptoms--along with reassurance on which symptoms cannot be avoided but can be understood vs. those that warrant intervention--in my book PERFECT HORMONE BALANCE FOR PREGNANCY. If you remain interested, you may wish to check it out at your local library or bookstore. In the meantime, don't give up on this pregnancy based upon feeling good!!
    Best thoughts,
    ~Robert

Robert Greene, MD, FACOG
    CNY Fertility Center

Pregnancy is an unpredictable thing and the loss of symptoms not always a sign of danger. Are you sure that you've lost all the early symptoms? There are lots of them, check out the list.