Thread: Regarding AMH levels

Unhappy Regarding AMH levels

I am a 42yo breast cancer patient on 22.5mg q 3mo of lupron x 2 years along with a AI (arimadex). Off Lupron/AI for 7 months (last dose March 2013) in an attempt for pregnancy....and no menses yet. FSH 5, estrogen undetectable until last few month and is now only 10 (Sept 2013), AMH undetectable June 2013 & Sept 2013.

First Question: Is there any chance to use a FSH - like drug or gonadotropin releasing hormone antagonist or "jump start" my ovary. Or is the AMH the final answer =no ovarian reserve and I should give up.

Second question: ALso I have Rheumatoid arthritis. Is there a possibility that autoimmune suppression (steriods) can raise my AMH levels?

Hi,

Congrats on beating breast cancer! We don't use corticosteroids to suppress the immune system to raise AMH levels (the risks typically far outweigh the potential benefits). Many patients at age 42 have severely diminished ovarian reserve, so the likelihood of "jump starting" the ovaries given your undetectable AMH is low. Also, there's a possibility (?probability) the Lupron has had a long-lasting effect on your reproductive system and is a reason for a low FSH, low estradiol, and lack of ovulation. If that's the case, and if you inject FSH, the suppression may "overpower" the FSH and result in a poor response. Also, since there can be a genetic link between breast and ovarian cancer, and since there have been reports concluding a possible link between fertility treatments and ovarian cancer, you should discuss all of this with a board certified reproductive endocrinologist.

In conclusion, you should discuss all of the potential issues surrounding your individual situation with a qualified RE and see if you may be a candidate to attempt ovarian stimulation with injectable fertility drugs.

Best,
    Dr. Roseff in Florida
    www.ivfmd.com
    www.reproendo.com
    Dr. Roseff - South Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine - Boca Raton, FL
    PERSONALIZED/SUCCESSFUL Specialty care....

As you’re not my patient, information herein may be incomplete/inaccurate & I can't be responsible for your actions. This is for educational purposes & should never be used to replace information & care rendered by your own doctor. No part of this message may be reproduced, printed, or posted elsewhere without express written authorization of Dr. Roseff or INCIID.