Thread: Trental treatment of miscarriage

Default Trental treatment of miscarriage

Dear Dr. Coulam,
    I am 37 years old, experienced 2 miscarriages, after 1st one I had immunological tests (as part of other testing) and was told to have high level of NK cells (19%) with slightly increased activity. I was treated with Intralipid (along with low dose of corticosteroids and LWMH), but unfortunately had MA in 8th week again. Do you think I should give Intralipid another try or it would be better to choose another treatment option? I found a note about Trental in your article. Do you think it could help? When the treatment usually starts and when it ends? Canīt it harm the baby?
    Thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Ester

It is difficult to give advice for specific patient management without benefitof evaluation and consultation. In generalm it would be helpful to know whether you lost a chromosomalyy normal or abnormal pregnancy during treatment with intralipid. Dr. Coulam

Dear Dr. Coulam,
    as far as I know, it was chromosomally normal embryo.
    I do not understand it very much, but from my point of view, the Intralipid did not worked as it should. I read normal values of NK cells are bellow 12%. Mine was 23.2 before IVF and 16.9 (tested one day after 3rd IL) and a week before MA
    I donīt mind giving IL another try, but I would be much happier to have something added, that could give me a bit more hope that we could be succesfull next time, thatīs why I was asking about Trental.
    (Except of higher NK cell levels, I have very high levels of anti annexin antibodies, but I was told that LWMH in combination with low dose of corticosteroids and baby aspirin should manage to "control" it).
    I will be very thankful for any advice.
    Best regards,
    Ester

It sounds as if you need something more to suppress your NK cells. You should be evaluated to find out what is the best treatment for you. Dr. Coulam

Do you think I should give Intralipid another try or it would be better to choose another treatment option? I found a note about Trental in your article. Do you think it could help? When the treatment usually starts and when it ends? Canīt it harm the baby?

Quote Originally Posted by talha iqbal View Post
    Do you think I should give Intralipid another try or it would be better to choose another treatment option? I found a note about Trental in your article. Do you think it could help? When the treatment usually starts and when it ends? Canīt it harm the baby?

It really would be better to evaluate you further to find out what is the best treatment for you to reduce your NK cell killing. Dr. Coulam