Thread: Second miscarriage with donor eggs

Default Second miscarriage with donor eggs

I'm 42 with unexplained primary infertility. We started trying 10 years ago, & all of our tests have been normal with the exception of a fibroid which was removed in 2008, and a slightly low thyroid which I've been controlling with medication since 2010 or 2011. Never could conceive on our own or with Clomid, and had 2 failed IVF cycles with my own eggs in 2012 and 2013. This year we used an egg donor who is in her late 20s, is a mother & is a repeat donor with multiple successful pregnancies. With our first DE cycle (2 embryos transferred) I got pregnant, but at the 6w5d ultrasound the fetus was small & weak or no heartbeat; another ultrasound a week later there was a heartbeat and some growth, but at 9 weeks it had stopped growing & the heartbeat was gone; I miscarried at 10 weeks. We did an FET cycle in November (2 embryos again), I got pregnant again, & this time our 6w5d ultrasound revealed the fetus had stopped growing at around 5 weeks; I had a D&C yesterday.
    Our RE wants me to have some blood tests in 2 weeks to try to find out what's causing me to miscarry, as she thinks it's very unlikely to be due to the donor eggs. We have 4 remaining frozen embryos & I'm worried that I'll keep miscarrying & never know why. I can't find any information on reasons for repeat miscarriages with donor eggs, and I'm wondering what is left to test at this point.

Sorry for your losses....

Always tough to be that patient that has pregnancy loss after using an egg donor. Interestingly, when we look at PGS in IVF cycles using donor eggs the rate of genetically abnormal embryos can be as high as 50-60%. Could this just be a case of extremely bad luck at selecting the embryos for ET? Maybe. I certainly agree with your RE's plan to check some blood tests. There are patients who end up using empiric Lovenox in such cases but this is certainly not evidence-based medicine. If you suffer another loss then testing the chromosomes on the pregnancy tissue may be very helpful.

Good luck
    DrG
    Co-Direcor
    Dominion Fertility
    Arlington VA
    www.100infertilityquestions.blogspot.com