Thread: the greater purpose of using child's name and student ID on formal letters

Default the greater purpose of using child's name and student ID on formal letters

Brice, In last night's presentation you shared it is important to put the child's name and student ID # on formal documents and said something about "identifiable" -- can you please elaborate on why this is important?
    Thanks!
    Kay-Dee

Kay-Dee,

Thank you for your question.

We do this for any written correspondence with the school district about the student Ė and Ė you want to be sure the school puts it in the studentís Education records. The Family Education Records Privacy Act (FERPA) requires schools to keep and maintain all student records that contain personally identifiable information.

Schools often just toss email messages and letters. Putting the studentís personally identifiable information in the document prevents that tossing routine.

Personally identifiable information is the studentís name along with date of birth or student number. Most of the time I use the date of birth and the student number.

Nimrod Griffon. DOB 7/15/2011. Student ID#: 000000

In an email message you would put that information at the top of the body of the email.

Reference: Nimrod Griffon. DOB 7/15/2011. Student ID#: 000000

Text of the email.

In a written letter the information follows the recipientís address block.

Mr. Huffinandpuffin,
    Director of Special Education
    Old Overshoe Middle School
    1410 Honey Blossom Street
    Old Overshoe, MS.

Reference: Nimrod Griffon. DOB 7/15/2011. Student ID#: 000000

Dear Mr. Huffinandpuffin,

Blah, blah, blah.
    -----------------------------------------------

Thank you for your question. I hope this answer helps. Let me know if you need more information about this.