Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Ask The Experts - Questions to Moderators > Miscarriage, Multiple Miscarriage and/ or Immune Issues > Miscarriage & Perinatal Loss

Miscarriage & Perinatal Loss Carolyn Coulam, MD is a pioneer in the research on RPL (Recurrent Pregnancy Loss)

Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 PM
INCIID Junior Member

Default how long after low hcg levels detected before I miscarry?

Hello,
Thank you for taking these questions, it's so helpful! I was told I will miscarry and wanted to know if you could give me a time frame of when that will happen. I had an IUI done March 24th, got a positive hpt on april april 7th, my first blood test showed an hcg level of 211, one week later the blood work showed an hcg level of 112. I am now four days past the news of the levels dropping and have no sign yet of a miscarriage. I was just wondering how long it takes before you actually miscarry after you get those numbers? Also, is there any chance at all they were wrong? Any chance my baby is still alive? I know the chance is slim to none and am able to accept that, it's just odd to me that nothing has happened yet.

Thank you so much for your response.

Sincerely,
jjoy81
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM
INCIID Resident Member

I am sorry ro hear of your loss. With falling hcg levels,I would not expect the pregnancy to continue. Bleed will start when you hcg levels are normal. The time it takes depends on your metabolic clearance rate for hcg. It coud take up to 30 days but usually comes much sooner (within 2 weeks.) Dr. Coulam
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
INCIID Junior Member

Thank you for your response, I appreciate you being straight with me. It's also good to know it could take a couple of weeks. The one thing I'm worried about is it being an ectopic pregnancy and have heard if the HcG levels rise this could be the case. Can you tell me, if it does end up being that, what are my odds of going on to have a healthy pregnancy after that? How long after my doctor takes care of the ectopic pregnancy could we go on to try again? I did have laporoscopy (sp?) for endometriosis last September. The doctor found very mild endo. and removed it. I wonder if that increases my chance of this being ectopic?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
INCIID Resident Member

If your hcg levels continue to fall, I would not worry about an ectopic. Your chances for subsequent intrauterine pregnancy are good either way. We would advice you to have one normal period before trying again. Dr. Coulam
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM
INCIID Junior Member

Hello Dr. Coulam,
You gave me some great information a couple months ago when I was facing a miscarriage, so first of all thank you so much! I was just curious what to expect after a miscarriage in terms of success in pregnancy. We had been using bravalle for several IUI cycles and nothing happened, always responded well but never got pregnant. We switched to follistim and the first IUI with follistim worked but then I m/c'd at 6 weeks. We are now doing a second round of follistim and IUI and I am wondering if our chances are better since follistim worked last time or if there is just as much chance in it all and just as likely we'll go several more rounds with nothing again. I had a great response, two follicles on the left measuring 17 and one at 16 then on the left one 15.

I know you can't predict or give an absolute but just wondered in your experience if using a medicine that worked the first time gives you a greater chance using it again.

Thank you so much for your advice/help, much appreciated!!

Sincerely,
jjoy81
Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
INCIID Resident Member

The type of medication taken to stimulate ovulation does not affect whether or not a miscarriage occurs. It is the quality of the egg. Dr. Coulam