Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Ask The Experts - Questions to Moderators > Miscarriage, Multiple Miscarriage and/ or Immune Issues

Miscarriage, Multiple Miscarriage and/ or Immune Issues Moderated by Carolyn B. Coulam, MD
Carolyn Coulam MD, specializes in helping those experiencing recurrent pregnancy loss and implantation failure. Dr. Coulam is a pioneer in the field of reproductive immunology. She is board certified in reproductive endocrinology and infertility.

Dr. Coulam is a long-time advisor to INCIID and has been answering patient questions since INCIID's inception. Dr. Coulam's professional member profile is located here. Visit the Reproductive Medicine Institute (Chicago).

Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Hello Dr. Coulam,
It's been a while. I just wanted to update, I did have the d&c with chromosomes done. The chromosomes were completely normal. They are thinking it was something with implantation. (to me, that means, lack of metformin!) So, I've been on the metformin since I started it in April.
My husband and I are ttc again. With my 2 kids, it took just 6 weeks to get pregnant after starting the metformin. We tried last month and didn't work. Do you think the metformin stops working after a while, or should it still be working?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
INCIID Resident Member

Thank you for the follow-up. I am so sorry about the outcome. But you are doing the right thing with the d&c. Be sure to get chromsome analysis on this pregnancy to see if we have an explanation for the loss. My thoughts are with you. Dr. Coulam
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Dr coulam, can you please see if my last post shows for you? I had a question about metformin. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
INCIID Resident Member

You have been on metformin long enough for it to work. As long as you are taking it, it should be effective, ie, it doest "stop" working. Dr. Coulam
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Dr Coulam,
Thought I'd let you know, I finally got pregnant again after 7 months from my mc. I am now 13 weeks and everything is great! I took the metformin the whole time ttc, until 12 weeks. Thanks for all your help!
FYI-I have referred 3 people to you ever since I discovered your practice and how you helped me!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 AM
INCIID Resident Member

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you. Thank you for your support. Dr. Coulam