Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Lifestyles Forums > Literary Cafe

Literary Cafe A place for those who love books and want to discuss them with other INCIID members.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default It's May: Whatcha reading?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Still Alice (and the backstory)

I haven't read anything in a long time. I dropped my e-reader on the stairs and broke it. It was probably a week before I could bring myself to confess to DH (who gave it to me 6 months earlier). And of course, a bunch of my digital library holds became available right after it broke.

Oh well. Things got super busy with life, work and whatnot. Then my dad went into the hospital for symptoms related to dementia and Alzheimer's. I've been reading the threads on PNO, where some ladies have recommended Still Alice (and others said it was too raw a subject matter to read). Took my chances and ordered it. I'm about halfway through now.

For lighter reading, I also ordered the new Spellman Files book, Trail of the Spellmans. I loaned it to a friend now dealing with IF who could also use some light humor and distractions.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Just finished "The Long Drive Home". It was OK and a little depressing.
Picked up "The Book Thief" from the Library yesterday. I'm only a few pages in but it looks good.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani View Post

Then my dad went into the hospital for symptoms related to dementia and Alzheimer's. I've been reading the threads on PNO, where some ladies have recommended Still Alice (and others said it was too raw a subject matter to read). Took my chances and ordered it. I'm about halfway through now.
Hi Dani - I can't remember if we've "talked" about this before, but I was one of those who read and recommended Still Alice... my dad has Alzheimer's too... I'm so sorry you are dealing with it. It's a very sad disease, and one that hasn't benefitted from a really strong national focus yet. {{{hugs to you}}}

Ally
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraWB View Post
Picked up "The Book Thief" from the Library yesterday. I'm only a few pages in but it looks good.
You are in for a treat. Love this gem of a book.

Ally
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM

Nothing yet... catching up on magazines and smartphone games while I'm between books! Next up is The Diary of Mattie Spenser for book club. I know nothing about it yet.

Happy Reading!

Ally

Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyOops View Post
Hi Dani - I can't remember if we've "talked" about this before, but I was one of those who read and recommended Still Alice... my dad has Alzheimer's too... I'm so sorry you are dealing with it. It's a very sad disease, and one that hasn't benefitted from a really strong national focus yet. {{{hugs to you}}}

Ally
Thanks, Ally. I haven't posted anything about it yet on PNO. Even though we've suspected it for a couple of years, I guess I'm still processing this latest development. But it's been very insightful (and distressing) to read everyone's experiences on PNO.

I did finish the book and thought it was well done. A colleague recommended Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante. It's a psychological thriller but also centers on a woman doctor with Alzheimer's. I might check it out.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM

I've had a really hard time finding anything I want to read recently. I started and never finished a bunch of books, which isn't like me. Over the weekend I started reading The Shoemakers Wife by Adriana Trigliani. I like most of her other books and I'm enjoying this one.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM

I just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It was just OK for me and took me forever to read. I also read An Invisible Thread, which was great. It was a short, non-fiction book about the relationship between a grown woman and a little boy she met on the streets, panhandling, in NYC, that I devoured in two days.

I just started Things I Want my Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble for book club. Having recently lost my mom, I am afraid that it might be a difficult read for me.

Kristin
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM

I just finished The World We Found. I did not like it, although I did finish it. It was boring and had unlikeable characters. I feel like time was stolen from me. I'm starting Faith by Jennifer Haigh tonight.