Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Lifestyles Forums > The Soapbox

The Soapbox This is a Current Affairs Forum for intelligent, free, open, and peaceable exchange of ideas, philosophies, and viewpoints on news, events and politics. Any material found on the board promoting hate speech or intolerance will be removed. INCIID is a nonprofit and operates on donations and contributions. Please consider a tax deductible donation today.

Click here to give a smaller or larger amount.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 PM
INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Didn't change my opinions but

I did feel like I pegged McCain a bit better. My father was a career Army officer in military intelligence, did 2 tours in Vietnam, worked in the Pentagon for years - and a lot of the things McCain came out with were things I've heard most of my life.
For instance, this idea that 'We know how to win the war'.This is something you hear military men say all the time - especially about Vietnam. And there's a grain of truth. You can crush someone militarily but that doesn't ultimately solve your problem.

Military victory can never be an end in itself. There is a political dimension that - in my experience at least - military types tend to under estimate. I think that really came through in McCain's misunderstanding of the difference between tactics and strategy. He's just wrong - You almost want to send him a dictionary... but geeze, he's old and he's running for president. He should know better.

I also thought I detected a certain rigidity in the way he looks at things - no sense of different situations calling for different approaches.

I thought it was ironic that he was prepared to be critical of Obama's level of experience with foreign policy while being comfortable, in the event of his demise with saddling the American people with Sarah Palin, whose experience and grasp of foreign policy issues is... limited.

His remarks on Georgia and Russia were interesting. He played up his relationship with President Saakashvili of Georgia - but neglected to mention that he (Saakashvii) is funding his campaign.

I think McCain is essentially an old cold warrior. He looked into Putin's eyes and saw KGB - I looked into McCain's eyes and saw CIA.

Anyway, I do feel like I have a better idea of where he's coming from.

Obama needs to be more aggressive.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 PM
INCIID Resident Member

Default Didn't change my mind...

I was worried about the debate going in to it as I think Obama is a more articulate speaker, but I was glad to see McCain do well.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM

Default No, it didn't change my mind....

Both men performed about as I expected. DH and I both thought that BO did a better job overall.

I was disappointed that JM tried to twist BO's message. I'm thinking specifically about meeting with regimes we do not like. I also thought that JM trying to make BO being stubborn like GWB was ridiculous. BO could have given more specifics. Both men evaded how the financial crisis could affect their presidency.

What I'm really looking forward is this Thursday. I think Biden will eat Palin alive - if he doesn't get cocky.

Good night, all.

Melanie
Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I Leader

Default Obama started strong . . .

. . . and I felt McCain's first 30 minutes or so was weak. He had many missed opportunities to raise Obama's record (or lack thereof) and questionable ties. However, this debate was originally supposed to be focused on foreign policy so perhaps he will focus more on those in the next debate on domestic policy. Obama made some comments regarding average Americans that will probably resonate. Frankly, I felt like they were both talking in circles.

However, when they moved to foreign policy the tone changed - McCain was on offense with Obama weakly responding. McCain pretty much schooled him on Iran, Afghanistan, Russia, Georgia, Israel and Pakistan. Obama was contradicting and defending himself all over the place while saying "I agree with John" 8+ times.

Obama desperately trying to interrupt and talk over McCain won't win any style points either.

How will it resonate with the undecideds? It will be interesting to see the polls over the next few days. I'm guessing a draw or small favor toward McCain.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:07 AM
INCIID Resident Member

After spending 8 years absolutely cringing when W would open his mouth or want to throw a brick a the TV - it was actually refreshing to see two intellegent people have a civil back and forth (99% of the time) with out trying for a cheap shot or a sound bite. It was thoughtful and detailed and I think both men showed command of the issues. They diagreed without vitriol and I appreciated that

Oh, the PP who wanted more time on the economy - they werent "afraid" to broach it - it was the rule/format of the debate. they actually altered the format to start on the ecomomy. it was scheduled to be the second half of the debate.

No, it didnt change my mind. I could not ever vote for an anti choice candidate. Up until the Palin pick I always had rspect for McCain. But once he picked her to pitch to the religious right, he lost any points for me on judgement. The pick was akin to Fonzie "jumping the Shark" on Happy Days. To mock a pop culture iconic phrase - "He lost me at Hello" when he introduced her. I
Old 09-27-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel
I was worried about the debate going in to it as I think Obama is a more articulate speaker, but I was glad to see McCain do well.
I was worried that because Obama is so articulate it would backfire on him. While I think he is a wonderful speaker, I wanted specific answers, no fluff. I was pleasanty rewarded by both candidates. OTOH, I thought JM would get lost in the shuffle w/a man who was taught to debate from one of the best law schools in the country. JM held his own and than some.

I think the debate was "nice". I thought Obama came across as very knowledgeable as did McCain. In terms of foreign policy I definitely agree with BO's approach but would be comfortable with McCain. What I just don't like is the pandering and posturing. Most focus groups will tell you that there was no victory last night. They need to really step up their games to get the undecideds.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp
The pick was akin to Fonzie "jumping the Shark" on Happy Days.
LOL. You are funny.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 AM

Default I think it was a draw.

They both did well, but it was kind of boring, don't you think?

You know, one of the analysts (I think it was Chuck Todd) afterward said something that struck me. He said Obama doesn't show emotion. He keeps himself distanced.

For those of you who have been following Obama more closely throughout the process... do you ever see Obama get mad? Get sad? Not necessarily to shed a Hillary tear, but to show some genuine emotion?

Don't get me wrong, I want a leader who is calm and even-tempered. But I hope his political training hasn't stifled his humanity.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Default Why do they put these on a Friday night?

It was boring. I was tired. I could hardly stay awake.

I thought they were both ok. I wish there was a button you could press that would zap them with a bolt of electricy every time they told a mistruth. That would spice it up! (ok, just kidding).
Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Default So I debated McCain last night

all night in my dream. I fear this is some sort of sad comment on my life.