Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Ask The Experts - Questions to Moderators > High Risk Pregnancy

High Risk Pregnancy Moderated by Bill Cusick, MD
William Cusick MD, Chair of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Director of Maternal Fetal Medicine

Bill Cusick, MD is an OB/GYN with a sub-specialty in Maternal Fetal Medicine. Dr. Cusick is affiliated with St. Vincents Medical Center in Bridgeport, CT. His areas of Special Interest include: obstetrical and gyn ultrasound, prenatal screening, diagnosis, patient safety, MFM practice management. Dr. Cusick answers your questions about high risk pregnancies.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
INCIID Junior Member

Default Baby aspirin in pregnancy

Dr. Cusick - I've had 3 miscarriages last year and am now 13+ weeks pregnant. Getting to the 2nd trimester has been a big milestone and all appears well - baby is measuring right on schedule and had a heartbeat of 170 yesterday.

Question - I've been on baby aspirin since before conceiving. I was never tested for any blood clotting issues b/c my last 2 miscarraiges were chromosoem problems (Turners 45x and Triploidy 69XXY). However, my RE said baby aspirin won't hurt. Is it safe to keep taking it without any proof that I have a blood clotting problem? I'm worried that if I stop it I could develop a problem b/c I've been on it for so long. Any thoughts?

Thanks - cyndi
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
INCIID Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renauerc View Post
Dr. Cusick - I've had 3 miscarriages last year and am now 13+ weeks pregnant. Getting to the 2nd trimester has been a big milestone and all appears well - baby is measuring right on schedule and had a heartbeat of 170 yesterday.

Question - I've been on baby aspirin since before conceiving. I was never tested for any blood clotting issues b/c my last 2 miscarraiges were chromosoem problems (Turners 45x and Triploidy 69XXY). However, my RE said baby aspirin won't hurt. Is it safe to keep taking it without any proof that I have a blood clotting problem? I'm worried that if I stop it I could develop a problem b/c I've been on it for so long. Any thoughts?

Thanks - cyndi
Congrats

No evidence for baby ASA causing a problem in pregnancy- no problems to be expected when stopping- if you continue, stop at 36 weeks so as not to interfer with getting an epidual in labor

GL

wc