Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Lifestyles Forums > The Soapbox > Parenting Soapbox

Parenting Soapbox The Parenting Soapbox is for intelligent, free, open, and peaceable exchange of ideas, philosophies, and viewpoints on any parenting and/or pregnancy issues. Any material found on the board promoting hate, or for the sole purpose of inflaming an individual or population is prohibited. If you have a question email INCIID
INCIID operates on donations and contributions. Please consider a tax deductible donation today.

Click here to give a smaller or larger amount.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM
INCIIDer - A Community Creator

This is pretty similar to my friend's experience. Her 5yo dd was the sickest - very high temp for several days, tested negative on 1st trip to ped, positive 2 days later, but still she was almost completely well after a week. My friend got it also, but her dh and ds did not get it. My friend was pretty sick for 2-3 days, then recovering well and functioning for the next 3 days. Much shorter duration that the usual seasonal flu.

We know it is in our community, school has been in session for 2.5 weeks, dance for 2 weeks, soccer starts after Labor Day. I figure it's only a matter of time before one (proabably the 6yo) or both dd's bring it home.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 AM

Default My pediatrician sort of agrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
No and no. I never vaccinate my children with newly released vaccines (not planning on getting my DD the HPV shot) and the last Swine vaccine attempted killed more people than it helped.
He told me that it made people sicker than the swine flu itself. He also said that the cases of current swine flu that he has seen have been milder than the regular flu and he considers the regular flu a bigger threat. He is an experienced ped that I really really trust. He told me that the practice will recommend whatever the american academy of peds says, but that he personally would not do the swine flu for his kids (well, theoretically - his kids are grown) until he saw how it did on a wider scale. We will do the regular flu shot though, mostly to protect my immuno-compromised mom who cannot get it and is around my kids a lot.

beth
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Yes, I will get vaccinated, and so will my kids. I generally do not vaccinate;however, we all vaccinated in the family and were very diligent when I was caring for my nieces/nephews when my sister was being treated for breast cancer. I trust the vaccine as it is the same protocol used by the CDC as any other flu shot protocol, and it is the strain itself that is "new" not the vaccine. The vaccine in shot form is inactivated so I'm cool with that.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM

46% of the hospitalized patients with H1N1 do not have underlying health conditions, which is completely counterintuitive to previous flu outbreaks. That is the statistic that was released last night by the CDC. I'm so happy your ds had a short stint of it. My bff Sanjay Gupta got it and the CDC director advised that he should still get the vaccine as it is not proven yet that once you get it, that you become immune to it, another untested hypothesis since it is still early to tell.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM

Is it colder in June in Winnipeg? I was a bit freaked that they were 3-4 days from shipping patients out to other centers - but that may be a reflection of the country's medical system? Not sure....http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125535613677080299.html
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM

I was a bit skeptical, but after listening to this commentary on NPR about the vaccine I changed my mind - we will all get it when it becomes available.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=113746160
Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Default My DSs got it yesterday

Seasonal flu shot and H1N1 nasal mist. So far they have had no symptoms except sore arms. Their ped's office (which we've been going to for 11 years since oldest DS was born) and my SIL who is an excellent ped with 25 years experience both recommended it because of the H1N1 hitting ages 2 -24 especially hard. But my DSs are in excellent health otherwise so there are no underlying issues.

Sue
Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Question - are the ped offices administering nasal mist to healthy kids at this point. I was under the impression we had to wait awhile. Perhaps it is different among different regions, ped offices.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM

I am curious. If having the virus doesn't convey immunity, why would vaccine work? Isn't it the same principle?

With the vaccine, a killed or weakened virus is used in order to build immunity. Why would that be expected to work any better than exposing the body to the live active virus floating around the school?

Another question - How many varieties of H1N1 are there? (Which may answer my previous questions)
Old 10-16-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure that is why I was confused with the CDC director instructed Sanjay Gupta to get the vaccine despite his H1N1 diagnosis. I think the difference between exposing the body to live active vs. killed or weakened, is that the killed or weakened will not create a sickness vs. live active in school creating the sickness in the person.