Go Back   INCIID Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Adoption Information > Ask The Experts - Questions to Moderators > Endometriosis, Unexplained Infertility and More

Endometriosis, Unexplained Infertility and More Moderated by Walid Saleh, M.D.
Dr. Saleh is listed as a Top Obstetrician/Gynecologist by The Consumers' Research Council of America and recently received a 2010 Patient's Choice Award - given to less than 6% of doctors across the USA.

Dr. Salah is a long-time advisor to INCIID. He is also a proud supporter of the "From INCIID the Heart" scholarship program. Dr. Saleh and SIRM are generous donors to INCIID's mission and very popular with patients who are looking for individualized and compassionate patient care. Dr. Saleh answer's patient questions and provides information about Endometriosis. Dr. Saleh's professional member profile is located here. Visit the Sher Institutes for Reproductive Medicine (Dallas).

Old 09-28-2009, 01:50 AM

Question Age at onset of symptoms? (child mentioned)

I was, finally, diagnosed with endometriosis at age 33 and had a hysterectomy and bowel surgery a month later. I had lower pelvic pain starting at about age 8. I had my first pelvic exam at age 9 and a bunch of different diagnosis between that time and age 33. I ended up having two ectopic pregnancies and tons of scar tissue. After talking to my mom, she says that she also started having pelvic pain at a young age. Although she started menses at age 9 and I was 11. She also had a hysterectomy at a young age (27). Although she was not diagnosed with endometriosis, she was told that there were abnormal cells on her uterus (this was in 1972).
My 8 year old daughter is now complaining about the same symptoms that I had. It is painful for her when her bladder is full or if there is alot of gas moving through her intestines. Is it possible that she has endometriosis already? I really don't want to put her through a pelvic exam. If it is a possibility, are there things we can do now that will help (diet, supplements etc?).

Thanks!
Rae Ann Fritsche

Last edited by reagtay; 09-28-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Professional

Wow I am sorry to hear that. Eight would be very early for endo. Too early to treat medically as well. I am not sure what to recommend. If she has pain with her periods, once she enters puberty, she will need laparoscopy to establish a diagnosis and start her on BCP. Hope that helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any additional questions.