PDA

View Full Version : Idea... and calendar... and 'sign up' of sorts...

Doe
01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I think we have all lost someone dear to us, though most us have not suffered the loss of our spouse...

Alison invited us all into her journey and her very transparency allowed us to share in her joys, fears and feelings all through Al's illness. From that first post, she has shared it all with us - and now... 18 months later... we are part of the grief.

Jodi and I were talking about some way that we all might be able to help now - since we feel so powerless... When you lose someone you are immediately thrust into an incredible sort of manic busy-ness, as you plan the service, pick up people from the airport, sit in your house full of people... and then a week passes and you're alone again...

We thought of starting next week and sending out small care packages every few days or week, for at least a few months... so that there is something in the mail to keep her going... to remind her that she isn't alone... Doesn't have to something big, could be just a card - just to keep her supported.

So, maybe we can post a calendar and we can all sign up for a care package - remember, doesn't have to be big... it could be fuzzy socks, or hot cocoa... just SOMETHING... for when she feels all alone.

Doe
01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
CALENDAR - UPDATED Jan 16 8:00 pm (PT)

I think this is current - please let others know, if they would like to help out. please email me for shipping info - doe2000 @ gmail.com

Jan 14: TeresaIB1/SusanW
Jan 17: Frances
Jan 21: JodiG
Jan 25: Jen (jersey-jen)
Jan 28: Jen (jknyc)
Jan 31: cindy/neworleanslady
Feb 4: Leigh (LAD)
Feb 7:Stacia1 (Michelle)
Feb 11 - Valentine's Day this week:JodiG
Feb 14: MaryAnn
Feb 18:chelleyau
Feb 21: Kelley21
Feb 25: Katie2 / Melanie-Biscuit
Feb 29: cindy/neworleanslady
Mar: 3: Cindy/TX
Mar 7:JodiG
Mar 10: WasTarin
Mar 14: MaryAnn
Mar 17: jeni/knightzoo
Mar 21: kari/kec
Mar 28: midebbie
Mar 31: Kelley21
Apr 7: sgd
Apr 14: Nicki/Twinks
Apr 21: LiLi/Lianne
Apr 28: LysaInSC
May 5: (MOTHER'S DAY is the next SUNDAY) Kiki2(Alison)
May 15: DD in DFW1/Dana - This is Alison and Al's anniversary week, if anyone else wants to send something, too
May 28: ShellyWelly
June 2: SaraV
June 10: (FATHER'S DAY, JUNE 15) GeenaBeana
June 17: ReneeNJ
June 26: Kiska

SPECIAL DATES
April 10 Al's BDAY: traci/Amelia
May 14: Alison's BDAY ybab, peaches
May 18: Alison and Al's Anniversary (11 years): Mic W
September 8: Hayley's bday 8: __________________

Frances1
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
...We thought of starting next week and sending out small care packages every few days or week, for at least a few months... so that there is something in the mail to keep her going... to remind her that she isn't alone... Doesn't have to something big, could be just a card - just to keep her supported.

So, maybe we can post a calendar and we can all sign up for a care package - remember, doesn't have to be big... it could be fuzzy socks, or hot cocoa... just SOMETHING... for when she feels all alone.

I had a similar idea driving around today -- I'd like to be able to help Alison in the coming weeks and months, too. Thanks for setting something up.

Frances

Ihostmom2mitchandnick
01-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Alison has a son.....he is going to turn 16, I think!
When is his birthday????
Please make sure to INCLUDE him as well....it is Al's stepson.
Hugs
MA...who will be back later tonight to post more

SaraV
01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Alison has a son.....he is going to turn 16, I think!
When is his birthday????
Please make sure to INCLUDE him as well....it is Al's stepson.
Hugs
MA...who will be back later tonight to post more

I feel awful - I dont' remember her son's name -- she's so good about keeping her B2K posts about Hayley that I don't remember her posting her DS's name??:blush:

neworleanslady
01-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Can someone please e-mail me Alison's address. My e-mail is

cindy121@charter.net

Thanks.

WasTarin
01-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I just spoke to Alison and she made reference to the fact that her house has been teeming with people for days and now it's quiet. She said her friend who lost his wife to breast cancer earlier this year told her about feeling abandoned after she passed. Alison wasn't complaining, she was just matter of fact.

I got the information of where and when services are (Thursday 4:00-8:00 visiting hours and then funeral Friday morning at 10:00) and have been looking at flights to see if I can swing it.

If Doe or Jodi confirm that this is a secure board (seems like PNOers are getting here through Cindy?) I will post the details of the the funeral home and church. I asked Alison if it would be ok to share it and she said yes, but I just want to take minimal precautions.

I think we have all lost someone dear to us, though most us have not suffered the loss of our spouse...

Alison invited us all into her journey and her very transparency allowed us to share in her joys, fears and feelings all through Al's illness. From that first post, she has shared it all with us - and now... 18 months later... we are part of the grief.

Jodi and I were talking about some way that we all might be able to help now - since we feel so powerless... When you lose someone you are immediately thrust into an incredible sort of manic busy-ness, as you plan the service, pick up people from the airport, sit in your house full of people... and then a week passes and you're alone again...

We thought of starting next week and sending out small care packages every few days or week, for at least a few months... so that there is something in the mail to keep her going... to remind her that she isn't alone... Doesn't have to something big, could be just a card - just to keep her supported.

neworleanslady
01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I was e-mailed the link to this board and wanted to help. I haven't disclosed this board to anyone.

SusanW
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Updated list w/Special dates highlighted...

Jan 14: SusanW
Jan 25:
Jan 28:
Jan 31:
Feb 4:
Feb 7:
Feb 14:
Feb 18:
Feb 25:
Feb 29:
Mar: 3:
Mar 10:
Mar 14:
Mar 17:
Mar 21:
Mar 28:
April 10 Al's BDAY
May 14: Alison's BDAY
May 18: Alison and Al's Anniversary (11 years)
September ___: Hayley's bday - 8

Before I even saw this I bought a picture frame to send to Alison. She casn put one of Al's photos in it. I'm thinking maybe I will copy and paste the one where he looks healthy and put it in the frame for her. I'll mail it out right away!

Susan

Doe
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
His name is David - I haven't forgotten him at all, I just don't have his birthdate yet - I think it JUST happened.

Doe
01-08-2008, 09:17 PM
WT, we allowed all PNO participants to view this board - we just wanted to not *publicize* it per se, so that Alison didn't have to wade through posts trying to figure out in what way to best support her... it seemed more stressful, IYKWIM...

Current list (I think) - I'll email people separately with the address info:

ybab
01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Does anyone have (or could we create) a list of things like favorite restaurants, a local cleaning service, anything that would help with putting our individual gifts together? Maybe this is something that a volunteer could talk to Alison about, or talk to her minister (not now, of course, but at some point)? Just thinking it would helpful - I'd love to include a g/c to a favorite takeout place, something I know she and her kids would like, but I have no idea how to find that out. I'd love to make the package a little more personal if possible. OTOH, I've never been through anything like this, so this could be the wrong idea. Just throwing it out for discussion...

SusanW
01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Teresa,
I have my package all ready to send. Do you mind switching to another week?

Thanks,
SusanW

WasTarin
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Doe...

Please sign me up for the next available slot.

Thanks for all you are doing!

--Cindy

I don't want to run the risk of using a version that isn't the latest, so sign me up for a week or two and I will look for the final version over the next few days.

I do have Alison's home address, so anyone who needs it can e-mail me at wastarin at yahoo dot com.

Doe
01-09-2008, 09:48 AM
That's a great idea, Justine - I'll try to track down some of that info today. I'll be talking to Alison and also emailing the photographer that did their photos.

...doe...

Biscuit
01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Doe... I tried post and sign up for the week of Feb 25 but I do not see my name on the list???????

I am sure my post posted. Either way, I want to do a week.

Doe
01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey Melanie, yeah a few got missed and doubled w/the copy/pasting - do you want a different week or do you want to do double on that week? I'm sure that it would never be bad to receive two cards or care packages...

Biscuit
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't mind, but it needs to be Feb or early March, as I will be gone after March 13. I don't have a preference, so long as I get one week at some time.

Ihostmom2mitchandnick
01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Guess I am not smart enough to figure it out.....but I wanted Feb 14th and March 14th. I posted that in the thread....but I didnt get updated.
Can anyone help me????
Hugs,
MA

knightzoo
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Please add me to the list as well, whatever is open. Thanks.

WT and I have also discussed visiting Alison in a month or so. It's hard to swing a big trip on short notice, but if we planned ahead, we could get a small group that could go and be with Alison after all the initial support calms down. I know my friend who lost her mom last spring found the months after harder than the immediate after, when it seemed like everyone else had moved on. I don't know if anyone would be interested in joining in on something like that?

kec
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Sign me up also for any date or dates and just let me know when. Should we post what we send so there aren't too many repeats?
Thanks for doing this,
Kari

amelia1
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
April 10 Al's BDAY Amelia1(Traci)

amelia1
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not savvy enough either, to figure out how to add my name to Apr.10. Anyone help me?

midebbie
01-10-2008, 03:23 PM
any week is fine for me. whatever is open.

sgd
01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Please sign me up for any dates. I would love to participate in something like this and I think its a wonderful idea!

twinks
01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd like to do a week. Could someone please add me to the calendar - I'm technology challenged or I'd do it myself. I'd like a week towards the end of April or in May. Thanks :)

twinks / aka - Nicki

SusanW
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
My package is going out in the mail tomorrow. Here's what I am sending:

A beautiful frame with 2 hearts on top with the photo of Alison and Al from the summer when they both looked great.

Also, a package of notecards that I made with photos of my paintings.

I signed it with my name, but also wrote "on behalf of PNO"

Susan

amelia1
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for adding me.

LysaInSC
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm getting so confused with all the posts, etc.
Please add me to the calendar!

Doe
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I think this is current - please let others know, if they would like to help out. please email me for shipping info - doe2000 @ gmail.com

CALENDAR - UPDATED Jan 11 10:10 am (PT)

May 15:DD in DFW1/Dana - This is Alison and Al's anniversary week, if anyone else wants to send something, too
June 2:
June 10: (FATHER'S DAY, JUNE 15)
June 17:
June 26:

SPECIAL DATES
May 14: Alison's BDAY ybab
May 18: Alison and Al's Anniversary (11 years): ____________________
September ___: Hayley's bday 8: __________________

kiki2
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Alison(2)

WasTarin
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
nt
My package is going out in the mail tomorrow. Here's what I am sending:

A beautiful frame with 2 hearts on top with the photo of Alison and Al from the summer when they both looked great.

Also, a package of notecards that I made with photos of my paintings.

I signed it with my name, but also wrote "on behalf of PNO"

Susan

DD in DFW1
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Put me down and let me know the date. Doe, thanks for all you've done for Alison & her family.

Dana

SaraV
01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Give me any week that needs doing, Doe

SaraV
01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Hayley's birthday is September 8 - I have an old birthday calendar from B2K.

geenabeana
01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Any week will be fine.

Thank you.

ReneeNJ
01-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I'll look for the most current list in a few days. Thanks for organizing us!

Renee

Doe
01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
CALENDAR - UPDATED Jan 16 8:00 pm (PT)

May 15: DD in DFW1/Dana - This is Alison and Al's anniversary week, if anyone else wants to send something, too
June 2: SaraV
June 10: (FATHER'S DAY, JUNE 15) GeenaBeana
June 17: ReneeNJ
June 26: Kiska

SPECIAL DATES
May 14: Alison's BDAY ybab, peaches
May 18: Alison and Al's Anniversary (11 years): Mic W
September 8: Hayley's bday 8: __________________

Doe
01-16-2008, 11:03 PM
BUMP! updated

chrissygp
01-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll be glad to take Hayley's birthday in Septmber or if you want to extend the calendar I'll do the first week in July. Just let me know. I tried to get a week, but you must not have seen my post or gotten my email. Let me know. I think this is a wonderful thing everyone is doing for Alison. I know she will be touched!:)

smf3
02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I just talked to wastarin and she said it'd be ok if I sent Alison something for Valentine's Day...esp since MA is at the hospital with Nicholas. So, MaryAnn, if you're sending something, I am not trying to step on your toes, I just wanted to send Alison something for Valentines....:)

:hug: everyone,
Shawna

ETA: I would also like to take Hayley's birthday....she and my dd share the same birthdate :m_thumbup

Thanks!
Shawna

Ihostmom2mitchandnick
02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I just talked to wastarin and she said it'd be ok if I sent Alison something for Valentine's Day...esp since MA is at the hospital with Nicholas. So, MaryAnn, if you're sending something, I am not trying to step on your toes, I just wanted to send Alison something for Valentines....:)

:hug: everyone,
Shawna

ETA: I would also like to take Hayley's birthday....she and my dd share the same birthdate :m_thumbup

Thanks!
Shawna
I think it is great you want to send something!
Nicholas is already doing something for them....but I think the more the merrier as it is their first holiday without Al.
Have a great day everyone,
Hugs

Doe
02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh gosh, yes - I think anyone should be welcome to send something whenever they want! Shawna, I think it's lovely that you want to send something now...