PDA

View Full Version : New twist on the existing ideas...

WasTarin
01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
knightzoo had the outstanding idea that we go visit Alison in a few months' time. We can do a meet-up in St. Louis (we can chip in for Alison's room) and give her whatever amount we collect (form to be determined, Amex card, etc.) along with whatever piece of rememberance. But mostly the visit would be about us supporting Alison, gettting to give her a real hug and toasting to Al with that swill he drank.

So I have questions for you. (I know how you all love the questions!) We will have to check dates with Alison of course, but let's generally assume a weekend in April.

1. Generally speaking, would you be able to attend the meet-up?

2. Vote for one:

a) tree
b) locket
c) other

3. How would most like to contribute to the financial gift:

a) paypal to paypal
b) personal check
c) directly to Alison

WasTarin
01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
YES

2. Vote for one:
a) tree

a) paypal to paypal

WasTarin
01-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Maybe you can send an e-mail to everyone who e-mailed you to let them know we're polling about what they want to do and how.

Thanks!

Doe
01-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Probably not, but I would try - I have a flight that will expire soon(but may have already expired)

2. Vote for one:

a) tree We planted a japanese maple in my grandmother's front yard when my grandfather died... it provides her with much comfort and is always there...

depends on how it is being done... PayPal for convenience, check for less fees...

WasTarin
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM

depends on how it is being done... PayPal for convenience, check for less fees...

I am a PayPal novice; didn't realize there are fees.

amelia1
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't guarantee it but I would like to try and make the meet-up in April.

2. I vote for either the locket or the tree.( I know I was only supposed to vote for one but I like both ideas.)
3. personal check

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey WasTarin,

I will send out the group email with the link to this poll. Thanks for doing it.

I think there are many who want to contribute...but they don't want to make any decisions.

Is the charm bracelet out? I saw the post from MA who said she is going to get the charm bracelet on her own from her and Nicholas and her dh.

If the charm bracelet is out...can you revise your poll?

I may go to the main board for one more chance to email pnoinciid@yahoo.com to make sure everyone who wants to be included is included.

BTW...I vote for the locket; and check contribution to Alison.

WT...will you be our front person...the one who collects money...etc? I think more people know you on this board and they would be comfortable sending the money to you. Especially knowing you are close to Alison.

If the locket is chosen...I can order it here in Houston...because James Avery is only located in certain states.

Thanks WT for everything!

I wish I could hug Alison right now! I am so sad for her and her family...but she seems like a very strong woman.

Have a great day!

--Cindy

neworleanslady
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
1. Probably not but would definitely try

2. Tree

3. Personal check

knightzoo
01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks WT, I posted this in the calendar thread and it kinda got lost....

1. Generally speaking, would you be able to attend the meet-up? yes, except April 10-12

2. Vote for one:

a) tree

personal check or in person

WasTarin
01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I updated the poll and took the bracelet option off.

I think your PNO post will get moved to over here. I think they are trying to keep posts regarding Alison off the main board so that she doesn't have to see them when she checks in.

As for me collecting the money, I think most people will want to do personal checks and I am not too keen on giving out my name and address. I mean, I know it would only be given out to those contributing and it would be kept off-line, but I still don't like the idea of being known. Maybe I need to get over that, eh? But then again... maybe there's someone already known (more or less) that would be willing to do it.

I think you might be right that lots of people want to contribute but don't necessarily want to vote on or decide on what...

goodleg
01-10-2008, 04:55 PM
1. probably would not be able to meet
2. tree
3. personal check or direct

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Locket info:

In case anyone wants to see the locket I had in mind here is a link to a prior post: http://www.inciid.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19178

I like the locket and tree idea.

My only reservation with the tree...is what if Alison moves to another house one day; what if the tree doesn't do well...etc.

The locket (or other tangible item) can go with Alison whether she moves away or not...

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Here is a link to another pic that shows the hand engraving on the locket we did a few years ago on my BB board for an INCIID friend.

http://www.inciid.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19178

The only drawback is the engraving takes a couple of weeks since it is done by hand. We may not want to wait that long for the locket to be engraved.

I am fine either way! Tree; locket or whatever...

Thanks,

cindy

psilverman
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
1. Generally speaking, would you be able to attend the meet-up? Unlikely -- between single parenting and work -- but I'd like to reconsider when I know exact dates.

2. Vote for one:

a) tree -- if we believe she is staying in that great neighborhood
b) locket
c) other

I'd be happy to send money via paypal or check to WT or any organizer

a) paypal to paypal -- fine
b) personal check -- fine
c) directly to Alison -- seems weird

val36
01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
1. Generally speaking, would you be able to attend the meet-up? Unfortunately, no.

2. Vote for one: Tree or locket is nice-- maybe both?

paypal to paypal

Valerie

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
OK...that didn't work like I hoped.

http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry/search/product/CM-1255-A/Gold-and-Silver-Oval-Locket/

Try this link.

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Pic of the engraved locket:

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lne%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQPnxn0QxGo0xv8uOc5xQQQG0Jlo0GJloqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QQ0a%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,385,442

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6lne%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6 xqpxQQPnxn0QxGo0xv8uOc5xQQQG0Jlo0GJloqpfVtB%3F*KUp 7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QQ0a%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,385,442

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I am having a hard time here!!! Sorry...

CindyTx
01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
If you want to see engraving...go to my other post in Special Thoughts for Special People...sorry!!!

SusanW
01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I would not be able to attend the meetup.

I vote for the tree. I think we should get a little engraved plaque that could be maybe put on a rock under the tree?

Paypal is fine, but so is a check

Susan

Syd
01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Of getting one of the great pictures she had taken over the summer blown up and framed. Alison did say about the pictures that is how she will remember Alan.

I can contribute through Pay pal

Anita

chelleyau
01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
b) locket

a) paypal to paypal

Biscuit
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Not very likely.

2. Vote for one:

a) tree
b) locket
c) other

Probably the tree, but I'll go with whatever.

a) paypal to paypal
b) personal check
c) directly to Alison

Personal check. I don't have a paypal account.

sgd
01-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Yes. I'd be coming on I-70 E to St. Louis and would be happy to pick up anyone along the way that needed a ride.

2. Vote for one:

a) tree
b) locket
c) other

I think a tree is a great idea, if she's going to stay in the area. Friends of mine did that in remembrance of their father, but ended up moving several years later and leaving the tree behind was HARD for them.

A locket could be wonderful, but again, if she doesn't already have a special piece of jewelry that she wears daily already from Al.

a) paypal to paypal
b) personal check
c) directly to Alison

Paypal would be awesome and easy to do

JennyH
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Probably not..:(

2. Vote for one:

a) tree
b) locket
c) other

I think the tree is a lovely idea

a) paypal to paypal
b) personal check
c) directly to Alison

Paypal

ReneeNJ
01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I probably wouldn't be able to make it to St. Louis (as much as I would love to go).

I vote for a tree. Whether it be at home or at the cemetary (sometimes allowed). I really like living things and we have trees planted at our house for each of our girls.

Paypal or check, either one is fine with me.

Thanks again,
Renee

twinks
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
We have some other commitments in April but I would try to figure out a way to get there to support Alison.

So, my answers ...

1) I'll try
2) tree
3) check or paypal is fine with me

kiska
01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
1. I would love to attend, but it won't be possible.

2. Vote for one:

a) tree
b) locket
c) other

I'm up for whatever. My only thought about a tree planted at their house is that if someday she does leave the house she shared with him, leaving the tree might make it even harder. For my nephew, they planted a tree for him at a local arboretum.

3. personal check

patnk8
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
1. unable to attend
2.tree-especially with SusanW's idea of plaque under tree
3.check-don't have paypal,but willing to learn!

ybab
01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
1. Sorry, will have a new baby to attend to (I hope). But it's a neat idea.

2. Tree

I like this b/c it's something that her kids can share in too. Love the idea of a plaque or a bench to go with it. I wonder if Alison's minister (or Alison later) could help figure out a location - like the cemetery or a local park. Maybe they had a special spot they went to! You guys going out there could have a little dedication ceremony around the planting; that would be special.

3. Paypal but I don't really care.

Thinking about Alison today...I was looking over her old posts and looks like it was only a year and a half ago (or so) that Al began treatments. Every day is such a gift; I'm still so sad for her family...

knightzoo
01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Twinks, wonder if we could meet somewhere in Nebraska and carpool from there? We'll have to see once we pick a date. I don't know who else we'd run into heading east?

D_JM
01-10-2008, 09:16 PM
1. It would be hard for me to make it from where I am.

2. Locket.

3. Whatever Alison would prefer.

cyster
01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
1. Attending: unfortunately not

2. Locket is 1st choice / tree is second

3. paypal

Thank you for organizing and for sending the flowers!

Jody

Katie2
01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
As much as I would love to, I seriously doubt I'd be able to go.

My first choice would be a tree because it could be enjoyed by everyone who loved Al. Someone made a good point about what happens if the family moves, and that is something to think about. However, Alison sounds like she is very happy in that neighborhood, so I think the chances are probably remote. If not the tree, then I'd vote for the locket.

Finally, I'd say we give the money to Alison in whatever form she prefers.

Thanks so much for coordinating this.

Laura H1
01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
As much as I would love to, I seriously doubt I'd be able to go.

My first choice would be a tree because it could be enjoyed by everyone who loved Al. Someone made a good point about what happens if the family moves, and that is something to think about. However, Alison sounds like she is very happy in that neighborhood, so I think the chances are probably remote. If not the tree, then I'd vote for the locket.

Finally, I'd say we give the money to Alison in whatever form she prefers.

Thanks so much for coordinating this.

^^^^ what she said...

Laura

KaylieS
01-11-2008, 12:55 PM
1. Maybe??? April is so far away...depends on if I am working by then (I'd better be) and if I could get off work. But let's say, yes, I'd try.

2. I'm up for any thing.

3. paypal would be my pref I think or a check to get some sort of gift card.

fruitee
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
1. Not likely
2. Tree
3. Paypal

kec
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't be able to attend but would contribute to the locket and to the check or paypal.
Kari

LAD
01-11-2008, 08:55 PM
1. It is unlikely that I could make it. We have lots of people visiting that month.

2. Vote for one:

Tree, but I will go with what the group decides.

Paypal

northy
01-11-2008, 09:13 PM
no, i don't think i'll be able to

2. Vote for one:

a) tree
b) locket
c) other
i know everyone loves the tree idea, but i think i'd pick the locket over the tree... but of course i'll happily go along with whatever the majority picks...

a) paypal to paypal
b) personal check
c) directly to Alison

i would send a cheque - well, more likely a money order as i am in canada and it confuses everyone when i try to send a canadian cheque to the US...

jersey-jen
01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
it's possible, depending on the date, I'd try very hard to attend

2. Vote for one:
a) tree
b) locket
c) other
will go for whatever the majority decides

a) paypal to paypal
b) personal check
c) directly to Alison
Paypal or personal check to whoever is collecting funds is fine with me.

-Joy
01-14-2008, 08:53 AM
My answers-

1. Unfortunatley would not be able to meet up.
2. Tree
3. Check