PDA

View Full Version : How often does adoption come up at your house?

pepperlc
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Its pretty infrequent here. There will be something that happens that gets the topic started again. My boys know they didn't grow inside of me like their sister. They were in "the lady" as they call her and they like to think that they kicked and fought each other a lot inside. The conversations when we have them are pretty humorous

karen

Kathleen B
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
What a funny image of them kicking each other in utero!

Here it has been coming up more often lately. DD (4yo) has talked about having a younger brother or sister and we have told her that we are adopting again from the same agency. We then talk about how we drove up to the agency to meet her and bring her home, who was waiting at our house to meet her....

Some of DD's friends have younger brothers and sisters so i think that is why we are talking about this now.

ksim30
10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I would say it comes up often enough. Nick knows that he grew in another lady's tummy. He knows that his skin color is different and he's asked if "she" was darker like him and had dark hair and eyes. That's about it.

My 5 year old tends to ask more about it, but we've always been very open about it, other than the details surrounding his placement with us. Other than saying that "she" was very sick, we don't give details. He doesn't need, to know that she was an abusive, awful person....I could go on and on, so I just tell him she was sick, but that she was so beautiful! He seems very content with that.

Kelly

chris13
10-06-2008, 03:08 PM
It seems to be coming up in some form or another more at our house. DS #1 is almost 4.5 & Ds#2 is almost 3. My 4 year old knows that he wasn't in my tummy, but in Maria's tummy in Colombia. He pretends to be in my tummy quite a bit. He puts his head under my shirt. He has asked me if Maria is a girl & if she looks like me. I have told him that she looks more like him than me. He has also asked whose tummy his brother was in.

He has been asking for a baby fairly often too. When I ask him questions he says that we need to call JG (our adoption attourney) and that our baby is a boy waiting for us in Colombia and he can talk.
I think that I need to start trying to stay one step ahead of them at this point.

Allegro
10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Not all that often. I try to bring it up whenever the opportunity presents but the kid's almost never mention it independently (they are 6 and 4). They do mention their birthparents nightly during nighttime prayers but adoption itself doesn't come up in casual conversation.

Scout
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
My boys are older now, 16, 17, and 22. They will make adoption related jokes to each other. Like they'll call one another and bio. 11 year old "brother from another Mother". It's done in jest.

Sometimes we talk about adoption and their birth families. They are curious about who they look like, where they get different interests from, and where their bio. parents and siblings are now. I have never attempted to stifle any of that and have helped my oldest to try to find his birthdad. He knew his birthmom, who is now deceased, and on his 14th birthday his bio. sibs came for a visit. The adoption talk has becoming much more sophisticated over the years.

pepperlc
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you for sharing. My boys actually have at least 1 bio sibling. She is a full sib too with the same parents. I don't know if the bmom had any more children after them though.

karen