Thread: M/c at 14.5 weeks

Default M/c at 14.5 weeks

Dr. Coulam,

I recently m/c'ed natually at 14.5 week. I did not have any morning sickness in the first trimester. I spotted but it seemed to be related to a polyp, as the spotting stopped after the polyp was removed. Other than that, everything was very smooth - saw heartbeat on u/c at 6 and 7 weeks and heard it at 11 weeks.

Then two days before my m/c, I started to cramp but no spotting. At first I thought it was just the normal pubic pain related to expansion of the baby growth. The cramp intensified the next day but no spotting. Given that it was Sunday, I did not call anybody but thought that I would call the next day. The next day (Monday), my water broke and soon after that, the fetus came out. The dr.'s office sent it in for pathology report and it came back with no signs of infection (not sure how thorough the test was since it came back in 2-3 days).

What could be the leading causes of the m/c and what tests would you recommend? Could exercise have anything to do with it, given that I exercised regularly in the gym?

Thanks!

There is nothing you could have done to prevent or cause this misscarriage. The most common cause is chromosomal abnormality, The second most common cause is immune issues and the thrid is thrombophilia. Is this your first miscarriage? Dr. Coulam