Thread: So nervous about leaving DD for vacation...

mrd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default So nervous about leaving DD for vacation...

DH and I are going on our first kid-free vacation since we had kids! We're very excited. DH's parents are going to watch the kids for two days and my parents are going to watch the kids for 3 days. I have no qualms about leaving the kids -- they'll be fine. But I'm very nervous about DD's behavior while we're gone. Both sets of grandparents are very judgemental when it comes to her behavior (she has SID). She behaves very well for us most of the time, but it's because we tightly manage her schedule to bring out the best in her. If she doesn't go to bed on time, she's a mess. If she doesn't eat on time, she's a mess. If she doesn't get physical activity, she's a mess. If you let her get away with too much stuff, she just goes wild. You get the picture.

Both sets of grandparents really don't get it and poo-poo our emphasis on her schedule. They're going to reap the results, of course. But I really don't feel like dealing with their comments afterwards. I'm writing a lengthy manual on how to take care of the kids and what they need, but I know that they will not adhere to a lot of it. I guess I'm just not up to dealing with their criticism after going on vacation!

Default Hope you have a nice vacation....

There's only so much planning you can do beforehand, and it probably isn't worth it if you don't think anyone is going to follow your instructions. What I see as most important is that dd will be safe, and your message indicates that she will. I would view dd's 'less than perfect behavior' and your parents/in-law's comments to be just one of the unpleasant hurdles you will have to endure in order to be able to achieve your goal of going on vacation. Please enjoy yourself, and take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to get away.

(If you haven't already considered this, perhaps you can leave a phone number where you can be reached in the event that your parents/in-laws are in a particularly uncontrollable situation with dd. But then again, they probably wouldn't tell you about it until after you got home, would they?)

-carol-

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I hope you have a wonderful time!

I had to leave dd for 6 nights when she was 3.5. I did the same as you are planning, wrote up a very detailed notebook of everything that works for her.
    I'm sure my MIL thought I was over the top, but it reassured me. Dd (SID and feeding issues) did fine. She rose to the occasion. She was one big meltdown when I came home, but while I was gone she did great.
    I hope you can enjoy yourself!
    Ann

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

have a wonderful time!!! you deserve it!!!! hugs