Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's do a check-in and list a frustration and joy

peanutgallery is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

barging on the sleep thing--

we do melatonin occasionally (and ds is choosing it for the first time) but sleep is a huge issue.

It's less of one for us now, actually it is barely one at all. It's still frustrating occasionally that we can't go to early things often, but there is no way I'd be at all sane if I had to argue with him to get up for school (which he would hate and run away from daily if I made him go...)

The one comfort I can offer you is that as they get older, they understand the end results of not sleeping better (and their control over it). That said, you can lead a horse to water but he still has (is) an *ss... ds will NOT sleep even if he knows he has to get up early--if anything he gets angry about it and stays up longer just 'cause. Well, really he is just stimulating his brain to "not like it" earlier... so I try to not emphasize that often.

If there's no reason to get up early though it is nice, at 10, to just say "time to go upstairs" and if he wants to party all night with his books, so be it. Oh, that's another thing--it got MUCH MUCH better when he was able to read his books. Unfortunately he *still* gets up and "Zooms" when he feels beta wave sleep approaching, he hates losing consciousness and fights with it. Knowing that doesn't change his doing it, but he has chosen to take melatonin a couple of times when we used to fight to get him to take it.

Joys...

DD (10 AS/ADHD/SID): got her report card today... she is passing all classes now (without a modified curriculum) WOOOWHOOOO!!

DS (3 Classic Autism/SID): I'm just loving how he is intitiating affectionate interactions. It just melts my heart beyond explanation when he walks up to me and climbs on my lap and hugs me.

Frustrations...

DD: I spent 3 hours today emptying out her room of 10 tons of JUNK. I'm sorting through endless pages of papers (finding some homework assignments that were completed but never turned in SIGH) and endless charts/codes. The end product was GREAT-- I set up her desk again to reduce distractions and have everything needed right there... but knowing that I will be doing this again in a few weeks.

DS: DS has learned how to answer YES to every question. This is a nice social help... but is frustrating. I was out to lunch with friends today and they were talking to DS. One friend asked DS did you go to school today.. he answered "yes" she said.. did you have fun.. he said "yes" she asked did they let you play outside in the snow.. he said "yes" My friend turns to me and said "wow.... he is doing GREAT!! I can't believe how much more he is talking" Feeling in a mood today I replied.. he say's yes to just about everything.. and then turned to DS and asked "did I take you to the zoo today?" DS said "yes" did you see the penquins? DS said "yes" "did the penquins swim in strawberry jello?".. DS said "yes" my friend stops me and say.. ok.. I get what you are saying.

Ok.. I didn't need to do that.. but sometimes I just want people to understand that everything is not OK and today was one of those days

-Joy
    Last edited by JoyAnne; 01-27-2007 at 08:41 AM.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Stacers- did i already mention

melatonin to you for the sleep issues?

My dd Ella, SID, anxiety, etc...? was driving us absolutely insane every single night with hours of fighting sleep....until 500mcg of melatonin was prescribed by her dev ped. omg, the change is amazing....we give her the minty chewable tablet, and she is asleep within 20 minutes on most nights, no fight, even walks herself to bed!>????? she is doing soooo much better at school too cause she is finally getting enough sleep.

hope you figure it out, sleep issues are so hard to deal with!

-angi

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default joys and frustrations...

Well, today at school the teacher told me that ella said, "I need to use the potty" and went to use it without a fight. This is a big step. (She is 3)

She is doing much better in school and so great with sleep. (see prev post about melatonin helping us)

She has been extremely whiny and throwing tons of tantrums lately. Every time we leave somewhere...the park, a walk, etc anything she likes...she throws a huge huge fit! Transitions can be ugly, esp if they involve getting back into the car.

I hope the fits stop soon.

-angi

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by stacers
    Emily is in Kindergarten this year and goes to daycare across the street after until I can pick her up from work. The daycare workers are so quick to tell me how "bad" she is. I swear they can't wait for me to come every day. It's like they enjoy telling me. Anyway, I'm with you on the sleep issue. Emily will NOT sleep. I'm so desperate for something that might work. Please let me know if you have any ideas or find something that works. We have fights almost daily with doing her hair, too.
    Oh I have a friend who watches Ellie occasionally who loves to tell me what went wrong. Never mind that half the time that I watch her "normal" child, she is a terror.

Anyway, I think Ellie's daycare makes allowances for her because she is young still....I really dread Kindergarten. I have a dd in K now as well and I just see it being a minefield for Ellie.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by angeleena
    Well, today at school the teacher told me that ella said, "I need to use the potty" and went to use it without a fight. This is a big step. (She is 3)

She is doing much better in school and so great with sleep. (see prev post about melatonin helping us)

She has been extremely whiny and throwing tons of tantrums lately. Every time we leave somewhere...the park, a walk, etc anything she likes...she throws a huge huge fit! Transitions can be ugly, esp if they involve getting back into the car.

I hope the fits stop soon.

-angi
    Ellie doesn't fight it so much as seem to not need it!?! But I guess that falls within the same reasoning. I might have to try melatonin. Did I mention that she is just like her dad? He takes it - otherwise he does not sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2