Thread: Has anyone done Tae Kwon do with a PDD kid?

Default Has anyone done Tae Kwon do with a PDD kid?

My ds has a PDD diagnosis. But, as time is pasing, our Psychologist is thinking it is more SID and a language delay.

Regardless, my ds needs some structured afternoon activities to help us survive the winter. We tried gymnastics at the Y in the Fall but he didn't want to wait and follow directions. He just wanted to run and play on the obstacle course (FWIW, 3 other typical kids dropped out for the same reason).

Is Tae Kwon Do very language heavy? His receptive language is normal now, but he does get overhwlemed when trying to motor plan and listen.

Thoughts? I just want a nice way for him to get his sensory needs met and to experience something physical.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Martial Arts is wonderful for children with dev.issues. In our area we are fortunate to have an OT who actually runs a weekend school. Now, if I could just get my 7 yr willing to try!

You can talk with insturctors/school before hand to find someone comfortable workign with your child.

goodluck

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

What about swimming? We are doing this with jacob once a week and he LOVES it.

karen