Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Week 1 update on ADHD meds with question

AlisonF is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Week 1 update on ADHD meds with question

Hayley has been on Metadate CD for almost a week now. It is a timed release capsule and we have been opening it and putting it in OJ for her since she cannot swallow a pill yet. I sent a note yesterday to school to ask if they had noticed a difference because the doc didnít want us telling them right away that she was on meds. They notice a big difference there they said and she got all smiley faces for the week which is HUGE for her!

I know the meds wear off after awhile but I am not seeing much difference in her at home. I get home about 5 pm so it has been almost 10 hours since she took the pill. I noticed a slight difference over the weekend but not as much as I had hoped. Last night, she was literally bouncing off the walls, is that normal?

Default Ds started on meds just after Thanksgiving...

We also did not tell the school until about 2 wks into our trial. Now 2+ months later he just brought home an award for great participation. That's a first.

He also bounces off the walls in the evening when the meds wear off. From experience (dd has been on meds for several years) the XR meds generally wear off around 4 pm. Dd is now on a split dose that helps her through the evening.

Not much you can do about the wear off period except try to plan some outdoor or exercise activity to wear off some of the steam. Dd has soccer.

HUGS,
    Charlotte
    Mason 4-8-02

threesnugbugs Guest

Default The afternoon rebound can be difficult for kids to handle--

it should get better in time. I mentioned my son also takes Metadate CD and of all the meds he has tried, the rebound for him is the least noticeable on Metadate CD. Each works so differently for each child though. Also, the "witching hours" (baby stage) still hold true for ADHD kids--they sense our evening stresses too and have a harder time managing. A great time for some exercise or manual labor chores . Glad to hear things are going well at school.

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Tanner has had that rebound of craziness when the pills wear off on all that he's tried. Sounds like the meds working. That's AWESOME~

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Is she getting all of the meds with the o.j.?

When we've sprinkled ours, I do it just on a spoonful of applesauce or yogurt. I know she gets it all down that way and make sure she is just swallowing and never chews it.

My dd did have rebound with adderall, concerta made her a zombie and now I see very little rebound. I don't know if it is because she has gotten used the the drugs or if we finally found the correct one. If you are seeing worse behavior when she comes off the meds, then I woudn't hesitate to try something else. Also, you probably already know, you can ask for a small dose of ritalin to be taken right after school to help through the afternoon and evening. I found that pushes bedtime too far back though.

Yay!!! on the changes in the classroom. For us that is the most important thing and we can deal with behavior at home.

stacers Guest

Default Sounds good

I was just coming over to give an update on Emily.
    I've never heard of Medadate. Is it new?
    Em takes Ritalin.

threesnugbugs Guest

Default Metadate is a branded generic and has been out for awhile.

nt

AlisonF is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What does branded generic mean? I am paying 50 bucks

for it and I thought that meant it wasnt generic?

It is a time relased version of Ritalin from what I understand but I had never heard of it either before he prescribed it!

threesnugbugs Guest

Default Branded generics mean they are a specially formulated

version of the generic and to differentiate the suspension formulations of the generic Methylphenidate more easily by using a name. I have paid over 200 dollars for the Brand name products of different types (Focalin, Daytrana etc.) I consider the 89 I pay now for Metadate CD to be a good deal If you have a specific question, I can ask my best friend's DH who is a pharmacist. Just email me.
    Last edited by threesnugbugs; 02-01-2007 at 11:45 PM.

sbdeveney is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

are you sure you can open up a time released capsule and not lose the way it's supposed to be released?? I know Lauren's Concerta (time released Ritalin) can't be cut or changed in anyway due to how it's released once you swallow it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast