Thread: Potty training 3yr. old with SID

Default Potty training 3yr. old with SID

I have not posted year yet, but my son Cole is turning 3 on Friday and has Sensory Integration Disorder with lots of tactile sensitivities. An OT comes here once a week to work with him.

I am having trouble with beginning potty training. He won't even sit on the potty. He is just so freaked out about anything except his diaper touching him on his bottom! I have tried different potty seats with his same frightened response. I certainly don't move ahead and force him.

I haven't even mentioned the potty to him for about a week and am not pushing anything until he is acting more ready. I realize at 3 he is still young, but I just wanted to get some ideas or potty chairs ready in the event Cole shows more interest.

Is there any books or recommendations for potty seats you ladies can suggest?

I am sort of clueless here. Cole's twin brother has been trained sereral months, but he doens't show any signs of SID or tactile sensitivity.

Thanks for your help!
    Emily

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

theres a great book that is all about potty training that we love!!! every year i give his classroom teacher one to borrow. its written for autism and related disorders. but most of the problems with TT'ing kids with autism come from sensory problems.

heres the book....its super easy to read and gives very detailed examples and solutions...

http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Trainin...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Trainin...e=UTF8&s=books

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Dd had some difficulty

especially with pooping on the potty due to her SID. One book that helped was "Everybody Poops." I think it helped her see that it's something everyone does. She verbalized that she didn't like the way if felt to poop on the potty and she would much rather wear a diaper. I guess it was good she could tell us. I remember one therapist suggested having her sit on the potty fully clothed at first, even doing things like watch a tv show while sitting on the potty, then gradually work on the actual potty part. Both my girls pretty much trained using the toilet. We had a potty chair, but they prefer the toilet.
    Good luck!
    Ann

Default Thank you both for the great ideas...

I will search for the book and try to have Cole sit on the potty with clothes on also.
    I am glad I finally joined this board!
    Emily & Cole (3 on Friday!)

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Ugh, you are feeling my pain...

Ellie is 3 yrs 3 months (SID/ASD) and not trained yet. We have progressed a little bit from screaming when placed on the potty, to sitting there for about 30 seconds.

Our OT recommended visual cues for her - a picture of the potty, then Ellie on the potty, then Ellie flushing the potty etc. I think I am going to check out that book that was recommened though.

My 5 yr old trained overnight around 2.5 so I am clueless about what to do as well.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

lot sof time the sensory issues can delay potty training. my older ds was not 4 til he went #1 without reminders-understand, urge, get to potty,etc. #2 took even longer, closer to 4.5. He still does not have nighttime control.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default 3 yrs 5 mo, still wearing diaper to school

wondering if we are ever going to be pt'd....?

we don't know how to really do it "all of the way" because we are gone often and she will NOT go in a public restroom, ever. I just finally got her to the point of going in with me to go, but I am not allowed to flush! (until she is at the door)

I guess I am going to have to figure out a way to put a potty in our van.

I wish you luck. I am going to order that book too.

We have the pooh bear potty chair, adn we bought it when she was 1.5 thinking we would train her then! haha

There is NO way she would use a normal toilet.

-angi

My DS (almost 4) is still not trained. At first, he loved the "newness" of the potty but I let him sit on it with clothes, play with it, etc. Then the novelty wore off and he's still fighting me. He pees on it but still doesn't initiate it and often it's a battle to get him to transition from what he's doing to going potty. It's just a power struggle now. At preschool, they pump him up with water and started putting him on every 15 min. He finally went and was so proud! I know it will take awhile to get him fully trained. At his SN preschool, they recommended lots of water, lots of visits, feet being supported, exploring the potty first, etc. videos, books. We've used "Potty Power," "Potty Time with Bear." There's a Calliou book and tons of others out there. What worked with DS sometimes is that he gets something if he tries the potty like a Pez, Skittle, etc. Maybe a special temp. tattoo, sticker - something he never gets usually. Put his toys on the potty, you sit on it. Try anything. All kids are differrent. My DS had big time tactile issues (still won't walk on sand or snow) but is ok with the potty now. What works for one kid, won't work with another. SID adds to the problem with Cole will PT eventually. I'm just in a power struggle and have been for a year. When I back off, I get better results. Just keep it out there and he'll take to it...

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default ds was four in October and is still not pt'ed...

and our OT and ST think it is unlikely because of the severity of his sensory issues along with his PDD/NOS that he will be pt'ed before age 5 or 6... he is just not ready...

i am confident he will EVENTUALLY be pt'ed... it does feel lonely in the typical world though...

glad you joined... welcome! Laura
    Chris 10/18/02

p.s forgot to mention i'm thinking of getting the book Lisa Marie (mickey2) mentioned