Thread: Had childfind eval today

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Had childfind eval today

of course jacob was on his best behavior. did everything she asked. he passed all tests which is great that he can do things in a nice quiet one-on-one environment but... There were a few little things that showed up. There were times where he wouldn't talk for no reason. Hard to explain what I mean. He would grunt at her instead. There were a few examples of his delayed reaction to her questions too which we see much more often. As we were getting ready to leave he was starting to show more of his typical behaviors.

I asked her if someone could observe him in his classroom to get a better idea of things. His teacher had told me right before I left with him that his listening skills were getting worse.

Maybe there are no other issues besides sensory or maybe they just didn't have the right tests to show the issues. Don't know.

I go in 2 weeks for the screening meeting. I'm glad I'm an elem. ed teacher because the process was very familiar. But even with that I'm not sure what I want to do about the meeting. I think I want to ask for a dev. psy. eval. I'm not sure if I should push for a more through auditory processing eval either.

Hummm...

karen

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default That is frustating!!

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    of course jacob was on his best behavior. did everything she asked. he passed all tests which is great that he can do things in a nice quiet one-on-one environment but... There were a few little things that showed up. There were times where he wouldn't talk for no reason. Hard to explain what I mean. He would grunt at her instead. There were a few examples of his delayed reaction to her questions too which we see much more often. As we were getting ready to leave he was starting to show more of his typical behaviors.

I asked her if someone could observe him in his classroom to get a better idea of things. His teacher had told me right before I left with him that his listening skills were getting worse.

Maybe there are no other issues besides sensory or maybe they just didn't have the right tests to show the issues. Don't know.

I go in 2 weeks for the screening meeting. I'm glad I'm an elem. ed teacher because the process was very familiar. But even with that I'm not sure what I want to do about the meeting. I think I want to ask for a dev. psy. eval. I'm not sure if I should push for a more through auditory processing eval either.

Hummm...

karen

Of all times for him to behave! I'm not sure much can be done with auditory processing evals until he is older. For my dd, she had the first one done at 6 3/4 and I think the lower age limit on that test was 7 years old. We did it just a tad early. I think I would go for as complete an eval that you can get for him at his age. I think his age will limit some testing. I think the classroom observation would be good too.

RickiD Guest

This was just about the same thing that happened w/my ds. He definitely has auditory processing problems in a group setting but is fine one-on-one. He also has SID but they don't recognize that in public school system here. No problems w/testing at the public school's early childhood school. The evaluators went to ds's preschool and saw what he was like in a crowded environment. We were able to get him into the EC program on a speech therapy plan because he doesn't say "th" sound yet and has a few other very minor issues. This is going to allow them to pull him out to do OT to address his SID and fine motor skills issues - ie getting around the fact that they're not recognized as a disability. Maybe this is what you can do? (We also have ds in private OT now - got him tested and into this when public school said all was well & he had no problems - but insurance only covers 20 sessions unfortunately.)