Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you bring your child down when they

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default How do you bring your child down when they

get out of control? I know Tobin loves his punching bag. I actually just brought ours upstairs today and he very willingly punched it but it was after he already calmed down.

I'm having a very very difficult time keeping calm myself because I have 2 others who are basically the same age and need me just as much.

karen

Default Karen, have you tried squeezing him?

In a giant bear hug really hard? Deep pressure always worked with my ds to bring him up or down. That and jumping on the bed, or off the sofa onto a pillow. He needed that deep deep input to be able to change arousal levels.

Default Deep pressure like Casjen men't..m

My son Cole like the mini-tramp, big hugs and also taking long, deep breaths to calm down. He likes to jump from the mini tramp into my arms! We've also had success with playdough, especially the rolling out and using cookie cutters. Favorite story books are also very calming. I also have 3 little ones and it's a challenge everyday. But, it's also very rewarding. I have learned a lot by reading "Out of Sync Child has Fun".
    Hope things go better,
    Emily

I get Menachem to focus on something tangible. He loves letters and numbers, so if I have him count or recite the alphabet, it can help to come him down. Hope this helps.

-Carol-

No I haven't tried that. I will. Its so strange its like a switch that flips on for whatever reason and just as quickly can switch right back off. It went on yesterday right after lunch and when I picked him up at school today and buckled him in his seat it went right back off.

the problem is I have a lot of trouble getting him to do the jumping that I know would help him.

thanks
    karen

Hum. I'll try that next time. He has come back down for no reason that I can figure out.

karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I remember having to wrap Sierra up in a blanket really tight so she couldn't move. Might sound mean to some people but she needed the deep pressure. I also would beat a rhythm on her chest, just the same beat over and over and talk very slow and quiet. Sometimes she'd even end up falling asleep like this right after an out of control tantrum.

Got to run, I'll talk to you more later.

s

Wow I'm amazed that she would allow you to do that. I think he would go crazy if i tried it. but i'm willing.

karen

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default getting him to suck... i cheat and still use a bottle

lol...

also, got a GREAT suggestion from Susan awhile back using a bed pillow... i put it across Chris' body while he lays on his tummy and i press evenly and as firmly as I can (generally using my forearms laying across the top of the pillow)... he LOVES this and is a good way to calm him...

it is VERY hard to brush him when is "HIGH"... but dh can manage him and brushing also helps to bring him back to earth....

our OT generally liked using the "sucking reflex" to get her kids to calm down... does he have a straw sippy cup??? perhaps sucking applesauce (although the sugar would probably set him back off) through a straw...

(((hugs))) I had to leave the grocery store yesterday when Chris had a meltdown and the others decided they would use the opportunity to start running through the store... we left immediately, and they were visibly upset/surprised with the consequences (first time I ever had to do it)...

Laura

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Maybe because she needed it

but don't get me wrong, I had to catch her first and hold her down and wrap her. I'd tell her what I was doing it while she was fighting me. But after I had her all wrapped up, she would quiet down. If you try it, let me know how it goes. I'm sure it wouldn't work for every kid!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast