Thread: Question about use of a weighted vest....

Christine S Guest

Default Question about use of a weighted vest....

This is a situation T's teacher brought up, but it has nothing to do with my kids, our school, etc. It's a complicated situation but I'll try to be brief here...

There is a parent who volunteers at the school who is concerned about the useage of a weighted vest on 2 children there. The school apparently has regular meetings with teachers, volunteers, and their sp ed teacher. ONE of the teachers is insistent on the weighted vests to help keep these 2 children seated. The other teachers seem to think it's unnecessary as they have little to no issue with the children. The one teacher who wants the vests on was described as "borderline abusive" with the children.

The sp ed teacher is insistent on the vests, as is the one teacher. The parent questioning this has of course never heard of a weighted vest and in her opinion it's been deemed cruel and possibly hurtful to the children. (I've already addressed the use of weights for SNK's with our teacher so no need to respond to that issue)

There is no mention of whether or not the children are SNK's. There is no mention of whether or not they have been evaluated or are under the care of any type of therapist. The only mention of the parents is to say they are rather *passive* and can't seem to control their children.

The question I have now is whether or not a special ed teacher should be making the decision to use a weighted vest, w/o the advice or consultant of an OT or other professional.

Sorry if this is rather vague...I really don't have any more info on the situation. I was just asked to advise on the vest issue.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Christine S
    The question I have now is whether or not a special ed teacher should be making the decision to use a weighted vest, w/o the advice or consultant of an OT or other professional.
    In a word -- no. Absolutely not. The weight level added to the vest would be different for each child, as would the max/min time allotment for use.

The school district is playing with fire here, IMHO. Also note, some states have very strick restraint laws (MA being one of them). This could be construed as restraint.

This issue should be addressed with the principal, Special Education Director and Superintendant. Good luck!

Christine S Guest

Sorry, I did not mention this was a preschool, not an elementary.

Thanks for the info. I will pass it along. That was pretty much MY feeling on it as well.

C

Default no way...

The weight of the vest depends on the weight of the child. Plus, you can't just put a weighted vest on a child for an unlimited amount of time, it has to be done in intervals, set by an OT. I have a first grader in my class who wears one sometimes. I got a 2 page document of how/when/why to use it before I could do it with my student. She checks it periodically and rechecks his weight periodically to make sure it's still ok. The OT at the school where I teach would have a fit ifsomeone else made this call...

Kathie

Quote Originally Posted by Christine S
    This is a situation T's teacher brought up, but it has nothing to do with my kids, our school, etc. It's a complicated situation but I'll try to be brief here...

There is a parent who volunteers at the school who is concerned about the useage of a weighted vest on 2 children there. The school apparently has regular meetings with teachers, volunteers, and their sp ed teacher. ONE of the teachers is insistent on the weighted vests to help keep these 2 children seated. The other teachers seem to think it's unnecessary as they have little to no issue with the children. The one teacher who wants the vests on was described as "borderline abusive" with the children.

The sp ed teacher is insistent on the vests, as is the one teacher. The parent questioning this has of course never heard of a weighted vest and in her opinion it's been deemed cruel and possibly hurtful to the children. (I've already addressed the use of weights for SNK's with our teacher so no need to respond to that issue)

There is no mention of whether or not the children are SNK's. There is no mention of whether or not they have been evaluated or are under the care of any type of therapist. The only mention of the parents is to say they are rather *passive* and can't seem to control their children.

Sorry if this is rather vague...I really don't have any more info on the situation. I was just asked to advise on the vest issue.

C

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

honestly, it sounds like you have a few issues. one, the parent questioning it might benefit from a sensory presentation made to the school at large.

2, the children getting the vests w/o proper OT guidance should be rec'd for an OT eval at school expense. it could be the sensory issues in the classes or cirriculum with the teacher and spec ed techer that use it is too overwhelming. thus, why the other teacher doesnt find a need for it. ex: mck only needs his when he has a sub for circle time now.

as to the borderline abusive line about the teacher, i'd want to know the source of the comment. was it the parent who complianed about the vest b/c she doesnt understand its uses, etc? or others referring different situations with the teacher. i know some therapy techniques to the outsider who has no clue can look "abusive" if one has no clue how they really help. hugs

Christine S Guest

Default ~~~Thanks everyone~~~

I have passed your responses on to our teacher. Again, I'm not sure where this whole issue even IS, I believe it's just something she saw on another forum.

C