Thread: Another mama feeling the stress!

Default Another mama feeling the stress!

I had an encounter today that just totally cracked me open for an hour or two. I knew I was stressin', but not quite how close to the edge I was.

Miriam had actually been having a pretty good day. Had a good therapy session, then I took her to the local children's museum where she played for a while and then joined a toddler-music class that we occasionally attend. Even there she was participating for a while, but then decided she was going to try to escape. She headed for the door, and there were two little girls and their dad in the way. The door was closed so I wasn't in hot pursuit; I thought she'd just squeeze past the little sister in front and then discover the closed door.

Instead, she reached out both arms and shoved the little sis in the chest. Little sis fell back, did a domino effect with big sis, banged her head such that it cut big sis' lip, then big sis' head hit a table on the way down. A little bit of blood, a couple seconds of shock, then much crying (not a serious injury as it turned out). Of course I caught Miriam, reprimanded her verbally, apologized to dad & kids, asked if they were OK. He glared at me, snapped "Thanks a lot, lady!" and hauled the kids out of the room.

I started weeping and couldn't stop for over an hour.

The other moms in the class were great, lots of support and one of them knew the guy and went to talk to him. I give him credit, he came over to apologize as Miriam & I were getting dressed to head home -- once I realized I was not going to be able to pull it together (I don't know how I made it home without crashing the car). He had not realized that Miriam had extra challenges, and indeed she was "passing" quite well this morning. And it's hard not to get defensive when your kid gets hurt, and it could have happened with a typically-developing kid as well...

But oh, my goodness. Can I ever relax my vigilance for even a single second??

Fortunately I *did* pull it together enough for our meeting after lunch that was the first step in the IEP process, the reveiw-of-existing data thing. I think it went fine, I was kind of in a fog.

Too many decisions, too many meetings, too many forms to fill out, on top of the day-to-day existence. I am SO tired and strung out by all of this today...

-- Joanne
    & Miriam, age 2.75, slayer of small children

Default HUgs, I'm sorry it was a tough morning

I know plenty of typical kids who would have done the same thing. Please don't beat yourself up over this. I'm glad the afternoon went better.

I have cried in my car too many times to count.

Christine S Guest

I agree....it could have easily been a typical kid doing the same thing. However, the dad's reaction was uncalled for. I would have been in tears too.

C

threesnugbugs Guest

Default Hugs to you!

I am glad the dad came to you though. So sad he was so rude to begin with.

Thanks for the support all -- I don't deal with anger well in the first place (especially when it's directed at me!), and PMS is rocky too, and there's just wayyy too much on the plate right now.

I broke down again at supper tonight. Miriam flung a plateful of food onto the floor, and we're supposed to be totally ignoring her flinging behavior, and I had to leave the table so as not to inflict my reaction on her. DH gave me a little talkin'-to afterwards. Told me that "we" have to be strong.

"We" are not feeling so very strong just at the moment, however.

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

(((hugs))) Days like that are really hard.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

hugs

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hugs...we've all been there. I had a nightmare experience on Friday at Applebees. UGH.

You are a GREAT mom.