Thread: Is there an easier way to get a blood draw?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Is there an easier way to get a blood draw?

Poor dd had to get a blood draw this AM and she was totally petrified. She absolutely HATED it. Cried and even yelled during the draw (tears and everything). The thing is, they used the little butterfly needle, it was over super quick, and I've had the same tech do my blood draws and she's very good. I held dd's hand and tried to get her to look away, but of course she was riveted to watching what was happening.

Thank goodness this doesn't happen often!
    Ellen with dd Sarah (12) SID and AS

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

The only other thing I know to do is to ask for the numbing creme about 30 or 40 minutes prior to the draw. She would only feel pressure then. We have to hold my dd down for blood draws...even with the numbing creme! At least she is better than my nephew who hit the dr who gave him a numbing shot prior to having some moles removed!! He was 12 or 13 at the time.

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

LOL. I think dd would have hit the tech if I wasn't holding down her other arm to try and keep her still. We didn't have time to use numbing creme because they called her back within 5 min. of getting there. Thank goodness it only takes about a minute total to do the draw!!
    Ellen