Thread: Ella still has not eaten - 1 week tomorrow!!!

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Ella still has not eaten - 1 week tomorrow!!!

Tomorrow, it will be a week since ella has eaten solid food.

she had another 320 cal milkshake (Ben n jerry's cherry garcia choc milkshake) today though and two milks...so about 600 calories total.

She refuses all solid food.

She says she is "afraid." (When she first got blisters on her throat (cacksuckle virus?) she ate something that hurt her throat and she choked.

no matter what tricks we try, or what kind of favorite foods we lay out, she will not come near em.

She still has a sore throat. She has been to the doc 2x, one strep screen, and one call in to the nurse at the doctor's office over the weekend who said basically it is "no big deal, they do that at this age!!" She said if I were not a first time parent, I would not be so worried. argh!

The milkshake is only if we feed it to her through a medicine syringe.

Help!!!!?? Any ideas!???

Does this warrent feeding therapy or something or just wait her out?

She has a very hard head, and is VERY Stubborn when she wants to be!

I want my girl back. She is pretty quiet and not feeling great of course. She is off all of her vitamins too.

Default ps, she is 3.5 yrs old, has ASD PDD NOS, anxiety, SID

d

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Will she drink the shakes through a straw? If so, then you could also thin out yogurt (full fat) and puree fruits and make a smoothie that's really easy to drink down.

My guess (after going through this with ds a few weeks ago) is that you're going to have to go through some of the steps to retrain her to eat. See if you can get her to take purees from a spoon. Then move up to yogurts or applesauce. Work up to soft finger foods (banana bits, overcooked pasta, etc) and then she should be ok.

As I said, it was 8 solid days for my ds before he'd eat anything at all, and he's STILL not eating well (several weeks later). I'm still giving him shakes and Instant breakfast drinks to get some extra calories into him because all he's eating at a meal is just 2-3 bites.

It's very frustrating. If you cannot get her back on food in another 2-3 days I'd go in and see the ped again and insist on some help.
    Ellen

Default Thanks Ellen!

Hi,
    I wish I could get her to use a straw. She refuses everything except the medicine syringe. I think you are right, we will have to work her up to purees, yogurt, etc....

It is soo scary for us because she is soo thin. I know you know exactly how we are feeling.

Thanks for your support.

We just CANNOT believe that this has gone on for so long. It is so strange that after 3 yrs of eating, she would stop over one event. I guess that shows to go ya that some of these kids really remember the scary stuff.

She has preschool on Wednesday. They WILL NOT feed her from a syringe. Or, maybe they will. I guess I will have to ask.

Thanks again for your support.

I cannot believe your boy is still not eating. OMG.

I am sending +++ eating vibes to your house!

-Angi

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I would definitely wait it out as long as she's getting her calories. If not, I'd push to do something.

If you want to start on your own...In feeding therapy, they took Tan off all table foods and started with smooth foods like yogurt, apple sauce, Etc. Then they added texture to that...crumbled graham crackers on top. Then they moved to bigger pieces and gradually moved to full solids. Drys first, then wet, then chewy. I'd at least start encouraging her to eat from a spoon or straw, over the syringe as that's just reinforcing her "behavior."

Good luck. I'd be worried to! But, I'm sure she'll start again when her throat stops hurting.

Syd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Ah poor thing...m

I remember when I had it. I didnt eat for a week too. I lived on milk shakes but they couldnt be too cold because that would hurt. I had to take luke warm showers and couldnt do the dishes because the warmth from the water would hurt my hands and feet for the shower.

Remember this will be one of her strenghts when she gets older, strong willed.

Anita

Default omg, she ate 1 -1/2 yogurts tonight and a huge milk!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I CRIED with relief!! That is the first near solid type food - or rather food that is not a liquid in 7 days.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I talked to her dev ped today and she said it is a phobia of choking. A few more days and Ella would have been sent to feeding therapy at the university. omg!

i hope she keeps it up. today she had a lot of calories.

this evening she felt sooo much better,. she brought me a book and sat on my lap while i read it to her cuddling with me. it has been such a long week, and i was just beside myself with gratitude for her health, and to have something nice come from her towards me. ahhhhh. what a great feeling!

angi

Poor you guys.. Also try making pudding with cream (or at least whole milk) or mix instant pudding mix wit whole yogurt. THe consistency is even a bit thicker than the shakes. try cottage cheese, small curd, although this could be a texture issue if she has a tendency toward that. Oatmeal with peanut butter stirred in then cooled off a bit with milk could be another possiblitiy. Just trying to think of wholesome calorie rich foods that arent too painful to swallow!

Sounds like she might be on the upswing in terms of feeling better, so this is good news! ust take it nice and slow and see how she does!

(((hugs)))
    Kerry

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by angeleena
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I CRIED with relief!! That is the first near solid type food - or rather food that is not a liquid in 7 days.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I talked to her dev ped today and she said it is a phobia of choking. A few more days and Ella would have been sent to feeding therapy at the university. omg!

i hope she keeps it up. today she had a lot of calories.

this evening she felt sooo much better,. she brought me a book and sat on my lap while i read it to her cuddling with me. it has been such a long week, and i was just beside myself with gratitude for her health, and to have something nice come from her towards me. ahhhhh. what a great feeling!

angi
    YAY! Keep pushing her to eat and she will come around! Keep offering her favorite foods.