Thread: Brushing?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Brushing?

OK, I've heard many of you talking about it, but never actually had to do it. The therapist today showed me how, but we really didn't have a lot of time. Can someone go through the sequence of which body parts get brushed and for how long? Also the compressions? I think I left some out when I did it at home.

I'm SOOOOOOO confused!
    Ellen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I hope you end up loving brushing

as much as we did. Well, my dd's resisted sometimes but it was soooo worth it!

We would first brush arms and hands and then legs and feet and lastly the back. I think I would do about 5-6 strokes for each arm and about the same for legs and back and maybe 2 strokes for the hands and feet.

Then I would do the compressions, 5 presses per joint that were 1 second each and then on to the next one. Elbows, wrists, knees and shoulders standing up pressing straight to the floor. I don't think I did all the compressions I should have. My kids didn't always like it but I got it what I could.

The whole process too me about 2 minutes. The hard part was getting them to sit still and let me do it. I got a box of figet type toys (putty and other things) that they could play with while I was doing it.

We did it right before leaving the house, right when I picked them up at the end of the day and right when we went to bed. Our OT wanted us to do it more but 3 times was all we could do during the week because of our schedule. It helped us greatly!

Be sure to use firm pressure and not a light one.

Good luck! You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Susan

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks Sue.... My OT said 10 compressions on each joint, but that at least gives me the basics. Getting ds to sit still will be an issue.
    Ellen

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We brush too....though not as often as we used to.

Starting from the top and working down, Arms, hands, legs, feet, back. 10 joint compressions in the same order. Always do it the same way, though I let her choose which arm and leg to start with.

I can't tell you how much this has helped us. Ellie is classically oversensitive and this has helped desensitise her. I can touch her, hug her, wipe her face, wash her hands and brush and braid her hair with no problems. It's like having a different kid.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

This sounds like how we do it too. Arms, hands, legs, feet, then back. 10 compressions. We do shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers (1 pull on each one), hips, knees, ankles.

It probably only takes about 3 minutes of so. I really need to be doing it more often. Right now I'm down to only once a day and it needs to be around 3 times a day. Our OT said the effect wears off after 2 1/2 hours. We saw noticable improvement when we did it consistently.

Firm pressure using the brush as well as the joints. Stablize the joint with one hand and press with the other hand. Also I like to do full arms, legs and back when possible but most of the time I just work around clothes. I do make him take his socks off.

Good luck. I did this with Faith and Jacob. I really believe it works.
    karen