Thread: Any parenting books to recommend to me? See inside for the exciting details...

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Any parenting books to recommend to me? See inside for the exciting details...

I've just finished "Blessings of a Skinned Knee" and boy did I love it. Even though I'm not Jewish - I did learn a lot about Shabbat and may adapt some it into my weekly life - I agree with the basic ideas and theories. I am the kind of mom who lets her kid learn by occasionally falling down and having to pick herself up and figure things out, and not trying to pave the way for my dd. I like the idea that school / childhood is a learning lab for dealing with social situations / different ways and styles of learning / learning to respect elders who have different ways of interacting with kids (warm and fuzzy vs strict) / having to adapt to life's situations / and using these experiences and all types of abilities and developing skills and confidence for adulthood. I like the family centeredness and the importance of family meals (I LOVE dinner as a time to reconnect, and also entertaining friends, etc...) I like books that make me think and re-examine my parenting style and also who I am and how I react to situations.

I also would like to highly recommend "Reflections from a Different Journey- What adults with disabilities wish all parents knew". I really feel every parent of a child with a disability should read it. This one is very touching (have your hankies ready!), and truly made me realize the impact of my struggles for my child's future. It also helped me to remember that Leela's disability is a part of her, but in no way defines her (you know I know that - but this is like hearing it from the future - projected back to me). It helped put things in perspective to me. I thought the sweetest part of the book was how many adults wanted their parents to know is that they grew up to be OK (what more could any mom hope for, lol!). They had jobs and families and hopes and dreams. Yep, they had struggles too, as we all do disabled or not. Many wished they could take away the worry that their parents went thru. I confess, I made a little vow after reading this book. To worry less about Leela's future. I really don't want Leela to look back and have memories of a mom who spent all this time worrying about her abilities, and not fully being present and enjoying and celebrating who she is. Of course, I'll follow thru with this vow AFTER Leela's surgery.

I started a 3rd book, but haven't gotten thru it yet "Disabilty is Natural" sort of falls in line with the above books...not centering your child's life around their disability, bringing balance, etc.. into the child's life.

Yep, in my couple of months hiatus from the board I read two and a half books, lol! They were really inspring to me.

Any others out there to recommend??? Nancy

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

The only thing I have read paretnign related was a book about OCD in children. If youw ant the title I will sahre.

thanks for the book suggestions.

Default Ooops! I forgot I also read the Ames "Your 5 Year Old" I love

these books. It really helps me understand the behavior of the age dd is in. Makes a world of difference to know what's typical and what isn't, lol!

So, I guess I read 3.5 books in 6 months, lol! N

Default Hee, hee I could certainly use that to understand my Dad...

He is such a trip... His OCD comes in handy, he likes to count things. To this day he can tell me the number of stairs in each flight of steps in every house he has lived in (he has an incredible memory). When it comes to giving directions, he's the best. For example: "Drive 2 and 3/10 miles down the road, turn right. Drive 3.5 miles turn left." You never get lost following his directions!

Hugs! N

Quote Originally Posted by trek
    The only thing I have read paretnign related was a book about OCD in children. If youw ant the title I will sahre.

thanks for the book suggestions.