Thread: I died on my hill today.... just need to vent..

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I died on my hill today.... just need to vent..

I got both of my dds' school reports today and both did really well. I couldn't be prouder. I'm trying to get our townhouse ready to put on the market and have everything in the house torn apart and part of the kitchen have a fresh coat of paint. I decided I'd take them for a treat to Chuckee Cheese to celebrate and that way I'm not having to clean up even more mess by cooking tonight. Anyway, I told my older dd she had to do her homework. She has 16 problems of long division and she has pitched a fit since 3:30 about doing it. She did 16 of them yesterday with just a little help and she's screamed for the past 2 hours that she can't do them **even with my help** because I don't know how to do it. I know she is just pushing buttons because she said she'd just write them down wrong and go. I told her I'd check them and she said no, parents aren't suppose to check. You can guess how much fun it has been in my house this afternoon. Anyway, I guess we aren't going and now my 6 year old is really upset because her big sister ruined it for her tonight. I feel horrible for that, but cannot bend and allow older dd to go. Dying on my hill here and it's not feeling so great right this moment. WWYHD?

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'm right there at the top of that hill with you! My dd pitches fits about homework, though it's usually writing assignments that give her the most trouble. I told her in first grade that it's a parent's responsibility to check that homework is done correctly, and the only way to do that is to CHECK at least some of it. Also, especially with math, if she has a few days where she gets a lot wrong on her homework, then I check the whole paper and help her correct. Even now (6th grade) we still check things.

We've had plenty of activities cancelled due to unfinished homework.
    Ellen

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Actually, DD is correct that I'm not supposed to check or correct homework. Her teachers want to see the feedback of what the kids can do without parental help. However, because I knew she was doing that I purpose, I told her that I would check them. Thanks for your response! Things have calmed down now and we are about to tackle those 16 problems again!

justLaura is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I would probably have done the same thing. And then I would tell younger DD that I would take her another time for a special just-you-and-me trip to CEC instead, since her sister was being selfish...LOL!

And then I'd beat myself up over it. :-)

Hang in there...

BTW -- We just got a new book out of the library -- the Kids Survival Guide to ADD and ADHD...it's written at a higher level than Brendan right now, but I think it would be perfect for a 5th or 6th grade level. I know your DD is pretty well equipped with dealing with ADHD, but just wanted to pass it along.

:-)

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think you did the right thing.

Of course, then you had to cook dinner and clean it up....

You are smart to stand your ground and she will respect and appreciate it.

I have a big hard horrible time with discipline so I know how hard it can be.

-Angi

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

That stinks for you and 6 yr old, but I think this will make the impact you want it to. It will be worth it. And you can find a way to make it up to your 6 year old. Hugs, hang in there, you're doing a great job.