Thread: Savanna's OT referred us to our Pedi for....

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Savanna's OT referred us to our Pedi for....

I described something to her that Savanna has been doing and she wants to rule out possible seizures. I can't really explain in writing what she does. You have to see it. But she will be talking to you and then her eye's will go out of focus and she will blink slowly and just seems gone. She won't answer you and this goes on for about 5-8 seconds and then she's back. She doesn't say anything about it and acts like she has no idea what I am talking about when I ask her what happened.

Our OT has never observed it and until the other day I was the only one. Our neighbor has seen it now and it's creepy. I am worried but also think our doctor will just call me nuts. She's done it for a while now and when she was younger, I didn't think much of it, she was probably tired, etc. But now it's different.

Susan

justLaura is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yep.

We call it "Zoning" here...because seriously, he's GONE.

We did have an EEG to rule out seizures, because apparently some kids have them go unnoticed for a long period of time.

Ours turns out to be very deep inattention. It seems to be treated with some combinations of meds.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

mckevor has a hx of those. for him he has drop seizures and absence seizures. his appear to be related closely to gluten. since taking gluten out, he rarely has them. but if we have an gluten exposure, the next 3 days he has multiple ones.

there is a also a diet called the SCD or specific carb diet that was created to help manage seizures. you can google that too. most folks are only familiar with grand mal aka shaking seizures. but there are many types. keep us posted :0

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We call those absence seizures. Keep a log prior to the

pedi's appt. Note time, day, if dd is hungry, tired, etc... Ask your dd's OT and every one else to note when they notice a similar occurence.

We couldn't catch it with the EEG. We did a half hour EEG, tried to have dd tired to trigger them, but didn't catch one.

Our neuro advised us it's more of an issue if the child is having them many times a day. My best friend's son has this, and he's treated with anti-seizure meds and is doing well on them. It was the teacher that caught it, in his case. It is very subtle and you do have to a child well to catch them.

Dd seems to have outgrown most of them, I still catch her spacing out every now and then, but usually when over tired.

GL! N

Default Thank you so much all of you

I have called the doctor to talk with her about it before making an appt. It really helps to hear your experiences. I did not know if anyone would understand what I was talking about and it helps me that you do. It gives me an odd combination of feeling better and feeling more scard. I will keep you all posted.

Luckily it does not happen very often. I will talk to her day-care teachers to see if they have noticed it.

Susan

Nancy, this is exactly what our Pedi told me about the absence seizures. They have referred us to the Neuro Pedi. The appt. probably won't be for 6 weeks. That's a long time to wait but since she doesn't have them super often at this point, our Pedi is not worried.

Susan

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Good luck. That is scary. How do they test for it? I think keeping a log of events will help you sort it all out.

big hugs
    karen

Default Thanks Karen,

the doc did suggest I keep a log of events. I've started it already and have one entry in it. I don't know all they do to test but I read they do a blood test to rule out other things that could be causing it and may order an EEG to test brain waves or something. Hopefully it will be the most mild outcome and she will outgrow it and won't need meds to control it. So far, it is not affecting her learning but next year she will be in another enviornment and it might be more apparent (quiet school as opposed to her noisy daycare).

Susan