Thread: I'm not sure what to do next

Default I'm not sure what to do next

My dd is 9y/o and just about to end 4th grade. She has been diagnosed with SID about 4 months ago. We are seeing an OT and she has made some progress. I know that she has some pretty big issues which the OT doesn't have the ability to address. The school has refused to do any further testing because they tested her at the end of 2nd grade and they only test every three years. At that time they said she didn't qualify for services. The SID issue never came up.

I suspect that she probably has auditory processing problems as well as visual processing. I have an appointment with a dr for visual processing analysis. From what the OT has said J has several problems in these areas. Should I seek the diagnosis of a doctor? Should I wait for the school to test her in a year or should I find a diagnosis on my own and bring it to school in the fall?

My big fear with doing the diagnosis on my own is that the school will ignore us just like they did with the report from the OT. We have had a meeting with her teacher and the school psychologist because J gets so easily frustrated. She cries and disrupts the class. Her classmates call her a crybaby and she has very few friends. I feel that these frustrations are a result of her needs not being addressed at school. I really want to work with the school and find something that will help dd but I'm getting very little.

At this point I feel like the more I know about J the better off she will be. I'm scared for her to go to middle school without some sort of plan in place for her. If she doesn't have one I may have to convince dh that homeschooling is going to be the best for her. I'm leaning this way but dh will be much harder to convince.

Paula

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default First, if you want the whole picture...

get a full psycho-educational evaluation. Ours included tests that screen for for auditory processing, visual processing, where they stood on grade level in reading, IQ, etc. I'd also read about ADHD-inattentive type if she is not hyperactive at all. You'd have to go to a different professional for and ADHD dx in most cases. I'd want to know regardless of whether or not the school will do anything with the information or not. You need to know so that you can either supplement with tutors or supplement at home or know how to talk with the teacher.

Link to who can dx LD and ADHD: http://www.ldonline.org/article/6027

and

Link to evaluation and testing: http://www.ldonline.org/indepth/evaluation
    Last edited by Suzi; 05-22-2007 at 01:29 PM.

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Paula-
    Having worked in public schools for many many years, you have my great sympathy (and empathy since I don't get any better treatment myself). First off, no matter WHAT the school says, there is no rule or law that I've ever heard of that says a child can only be tested every 3 years. That is a local policy made by your school board (or maybe by the local school) to try and get out of testing and providing necessary services.

My advice is to pursue this both ways. Continue getting assessments on your own through your own drs. and therapists. At the same time, ask the school to schedule a Student Study meeting to go over these results. Have the dr. and the OT come to this meeting if at all possible (or submit statements of their recommendations). Make sure that any suggestions and treatment options they make are addressing EDUCATIONAL needs (not medical). Whatever your dd's specific areas of concern, those are the things that should be suggested. The school doesn't care if your dd has a processing disorder UNLESS it is directly affecting her classroom work (which it is, of course).

I will tell you that I've been turned down several times by my own school (where I work and know everyone) because they say that dd's issues aren't affecting her school progress, her academics. I know many parents who have had to resort to hiring an attorney to come to meetings and write letters in order to get the districts to pay for services. It's a tough sell with SID, since it's so hard for the school to pinpoint where and how the child's academics are being hurt.

Ellen

Default Apd & Vpd

My son was dx with APD (auditory processing disorder) and VPD (visual processing disorder). We tried therapy/services/accomidations with the school... that was a joke! But we did do (and are still doing) lots of therapy privately.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will try to answer any I can.

-Robin

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

You have gotten some stellar advice. Goodluck, keep us updated

We did have her tested for ADHD/ADD last fall and the results were inconclusive. The interesting part about the testing was her auditory impulse control was very poor. The rest of her testing was "normal."

Thanks for the links. They have been most helpful. I really would like the find a pediatric audiologist who specializes in APD. It may take a bit of work but I think I'll find someone.

We did have our OT give dd's teacher a report on his findings. They held a student support meeting to discuss the results. I was a little confused about the meeting. I'm not asking for more testing. I'm asking for help with what my dd has to deal with everyday at school. I didn't make myself very clear about it but it's too late since school ends tomorrow. I do want to try over again next year. I don't know who her teacher will be. I think they may have to end up hiring another teacher since her class is getting large.

Thanks and I'll keep trying.

Paula

I think what you are lacking is a diagnosis and without that your District will most likely continue to ignore your private provider findings.

An OT is not qualified to provide a diagnosis, and neither is any school personnel (school psych are actually qualified, but they are prohibited from doing so), so I would suggest you have your child evaluated asap by a neuropsychologist and an audiologist.

Good luck!

- Julie