Thread: Thank you all--an update...

Default Thank you all--an update...

First, thank you all so much for your warm support and kind words--it really does help me!

10 yo dd's appointment with the psychiatrist went well (I thought). Then he met again with DH and I, and suggested medication; in the same visit he met with all three of us, and discussed it. No sooner were we in the car then dd said "I'm not taking any medicine." When asked why--"I'm uncomfortable with the idea."

She and I have talked a lot in the past week about why she might not want to take medicine, despite her protestations that she really doesn't like the way she feels, and really wants to feel better. She has told me she is scared. She has told me she's afraid she won't get as much attention if she's not depressed anymore (no parental guilt there, right??!). She has told me she doesn't want to "change." I have done my best to alay the fears I can--that she won't be transformed into little Mary Sunshine by the meds, that it's ok to be scared (but that just being scared is not a reason not to try it). I can't touch the attention thing--she wouldn't believe me, anyway.

Under the circumstances, insisting that she take the medicine doesn't make any sense to me--she already feels like she has no control over her life. I told her she could wait until school was out to start, and we will see her psychologist tomorrow (who, now that I think about it, I will prep for this situation).

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me on this one??

Thank you all again--

Lorraine

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

wow, that is a hard one.

Is she possibly afraid of what others (kids?) will think if they find out she is on meds? There is an awful lot of peer stuff around meds.

Maybe ask the doc to tell her a story about another kid her age who did not want to take meds, who did and felt much better, etc...????

Good idea to prep the doctor.

I think meds are going to really change her/and your life!

They did for me!

-Angi

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well if this helps. I recently started talking Celexa. Before starting it I was so depressed I couldn't get out of bed. It was like a wet blanket was on me at all times. After about 1 month I felt like myself again. No one different, just me. The blanket was gone all of a sudden. I was able to laugh again and play with the kids again. That is really the main thing it did for me. It lifted the heavyness. I hope you or the psychriatrist can convince her. I can completely understand how scared she would be. I was very nervous when I started them.

But like any chemical imbalance when things are back in order, life is better. maybe equate it to a diabetic who has to take insulin to function in a healthy way.

big hugs
    karen

Default Oh, wow...

I sure wish I had some words of wisdom for you. You are doing the right things for her and hopefully one of the professionals can help you and her! Major hugs!

Kathie

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndtime
    First, thank you all so much for your warm support and kind words--it really does help me!

10 yo dd's appointment with the psychiatrist went well (I thought). Then he met again with DH and I, and suggested medication; in the same visit he met with all three of us, and discussed it. No sooner were we in the car then dd said "I'm not taking any medicine." When asked why--"I'm uncomfortable with the idea."

She and I have talked a lot in the past week about why she might not want to take medicine, despite her protestations that she really doesn't like the way she feels, and really wants to feel better. She has told me she is scared. She has told me she's afraid she won't get as much attention if she's not depressed anymore (no parental guilt there, right??!). She has told me she doesn't want to "change." I have done my best to alay the fears I can--that she won't be transformed into little Mary Sunshine by the meds, that it's ok to be scared (but that just being scared is not a reason not to try it). I can't touch the attention thing--she wouldn't believe me, anyway.

Under the circumstances, insisting that she take the medicine doesn't make any sense to me--she already feels like she has no control over her life. I told her she could wait until school was out to start, and we will see her psychologist tomorrow (who, now that I think about it, I will prep for this situation).

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me on this one??

Thank you all again--

Lorraine

I haven't followed the full story so I don't know what else you are doing. Is she also seeing a psychologist? We did not have the exact situation but my 10yo DS did see a psych for a few months this year because we thought he was acting depressed. He turned around a good bit and the psych released him but one thing we talked about was the attention from us when he acted that way. She told him it was ok to feel that way and want special attention but there were better ways to get the attention without worrying us so much. She simplified it and said when you feel this way L, you say to your mom or dad, 'I need some time to feel special'.

I think when you get to a point (and it sounds like you are there) then meds are a good alternative. I do think with kids that there should be a professional outlet for identifying feelings and learning how to deal with them too. Is your dd journaling? If dealing with med refusal I would say that we are the parents, we have consulted with drs who believe this is the right course, for your best interests we will do it but in X amount of time we will re-evaluate and decide if it is working or should continue and you will have input then.

good luck
    r

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hopefully her psychologist can help

She may also just need some time and reassurance to get used to the idea.
    I'm sure you have spoken to her psychiatrist as well, but make sure they know her concerns and also that she hasn't started taking the medication.
    She sounds like she is expressing her concerns and fears pretty well, so at least you have an idea of where she's at with it. Maybe you can agree to a trial period of medication?
    Hugs- this sounds so hard,
    Ann