Thread: Where do I go with our IEP?

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Where do I go with our IEP?

My DS is finishing up K. He has an IEP which addresses things like transitions, social skills, need for advanced reading, etc. So I recently got a message from our principal that since they had no IEP on file with my signature, my DS basically had no IEP. WTH? I won't even comment on that one. Anyway, Ryan has done really well in K. There have been no major issues. He is quirky and prefers to play by himself, but other kids seem to like him. Academically he's way ahead. BUT...everything I've read about NLD suggests that school *is* going to get harder for him. As more demands are made on him, his difficulties with executive functioning, etc will start to impact his performance. My gut says even 1st grade is going to be a challenge.

We have not been called for an end-of-year IEP evaluation. So I'm about to make the call to push for it. My dilemma is...I am guessing that they are going to try and drop his IEP for next year, and I don't know what to do about this. Yes, there are no immediate issues but we also have a diagnosis from a multi-disc team that says he has NVLD. Is there an advantage to me pushing to keep it in place? Or should I not worry about it until we run into problems? Honestly, all he gets for 'services' now is a 30 minutes pull out for a social skills group. But his 'group' is one other kid who he already sees 1x a week for a playdate! In other words, I haven't seen much advantage to having an IEP but I want to know if I'm missing something.

Hope this makes sense! I'm so tired I can hardly type .

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Can you schedule a consultation with the most appropriate and

helpful person on your son's medical team to review the current IEP and make recommendations IN WRITING for the next year's IEP? It may be that your ds diagnosis is so rare the school can't "foresee' what his needs may be next year - where as a dev pedi neuro (for example) CAN.

I always think it's better to be proactive, and have some sort of safety net in place, and an IEP which can be amended. If something does come up - and it sounds like you're waiting for this to happen - you have a system already in place to address it.

Also, are there any other social skills groups in your area you can have your ds join, besides the school one?

Hugs! N

I don't know what state you are in, but there are IEP timelines that school districts are bound too -- check your state's DOE website for what they are in your state. Usually when an IEP is not signed within a certain time period the School District must report that to the state as rejected. You would then receive your notice of procedural safeguards (Parent's rights on how to proceed) from the state. It looks as though your District is making it up as they go along.

Check out your state's DOE site, or contact them via phone to get info on your child's IEP and timelines for reviews and renewals of that IEP.

NVLD should remain on an IEP IMHO. I would suggest a neuropsych eval be done asap to address specifically what your son's educational accomodations, modifications and programs should be.

Good luck!
    - Julie

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Do you have a copy of the IEP with your signature that you can give them? Also my friend just told me that here in VA, you do not have to give up a label if there is no suitable label to switch from. In VA you have to have a label to have services. This becomes an issue transitioning to 1st grade because all the labels change then. So for example, Jacob's label is developmental delays and its a preschool/K label. but if they can't come up with a label for 1st grade I can keep this label for him and continue services. Does that make any sense.

karen

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I feel very much the same about my 2nd grader. He has a 504, but I don't ask for much in the way of accommodations. I don't think he needs that much right now. I am making 2 teacher/classroom type requests for next year and I think having the 504 will help me get what I want for him in this regard. I'm not ready to drop the 504 yet. I consider it kind of a safety net, there for the unforeseen challenges he will encounter as the work gets harder in school.

Love2bmom Guest

I have not read the other replies (and I will eventually) but I sort of feel as you do right now on some level. It has been "suggested" to me that our DD will possibly face issues later...and for me, personally, as her mom, I already see issues and she already DOES need help in the social area. I'm not sure. I have her going to K next year and something happened recently that broke my heart.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure the other posters had answers for you. I'm behind you (my kids are younger) so I'm not "there" yet.

When does his current IEP expire? Do all of his services expire in June on the service delivery page? (I think I remember you are in Mass, no?) If they dont have a signed IEP on file is it because the signatire page has been lost int he shuffle or something? That just souinds like a technicality, so go and sign whatever the "current" plan is. Hasnt he been getting the services you agreed upon? Anyway, take a look at the service delivery page and see if any services are lined up for the fall. Also, on the current IEP it should have a date for when next years meeting should be schedules as well as his next 3 year re-eval. They can not dismiss him with out a meeting that actually show he no longer quakifies for services...

Kerry

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywm
    When does his current IEP expire? Do all of his services expire in June on the service delivery page? (I think I remember you are in Mass, no?) If they dont have a signed IEP on file is it because the signatire page has been lost int he shuffle or something? That just souinds like a technicality, so go and sign whatever the "current" plan is. Hasnt he been getting the services you agreed upon? Anyway, take a look at the service delivery page and see if any services are lined up for the fall. Also, on the current IEP it should have a date for when next years meeting should be schedules as well as his next 3 year re-eval. They can not dismiss him with out a meeting that actually show he no longer quakifies for services...

Kerry
    Thanks Kerry! This was helpful and I used that info in my letter (see sep post). It sure seems like a technicality to me, which is why it dumbfounds me that they are actually saying he has no IEP . ARGH!!!

You are in MA? the BSEA is offering a new service of sending a staff member to serve as an IEP facilitator at your child's IEP meeting. They are not there to advocate for your child, they are present to make sure regs are followed. School Districts are usually on their best behavior with their presence.

Contact person to request a facilitator is Marc Sevigny at BSEA
    781-338-6443. Call Marc and advise of what you have been told. He will attend your IEP meeting. He is a very nice guy and his presence will make all the difference.

- Julie